Getting my foot I the door

I have been a manager in leisure and hospitality for 10years. I have quite a lot of experience within HR and have been actively involved in implementing new hr procedures pushing some new ideas for induction processes. Also have been doing general hr proceedures throughout I am a great believer in embedding the company's culture in to our store. I am looking at jobs within the hr sector whist studying a CIPD level 5 diploma. How can I possibly get a foot in the door when everyone wants experience. Will my experience that I have over 10 years of management be any good?

• Hi Sarah,
    I understand your ordeal as I am also an experienced manager, studying my CIPD level 5 HRM. I am currently looking for work but everyone wants experience or at least the title ‘hr’ somewhere on your cv, regardless of the fact that you have actual HR experience. I am looking at doing work experience and volunteering as I don’t think i’ll get anything without that much needed experience. When I do get a job, I suspect that it won’t be in any managerial role ...again because my experience won’t be strong enough, but te important bit like you said will be to get your foot through the door.
    Good luck to us!! :)
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

13 Oct, 2017 15:56

Hi Sarah, thanks for posting. Diversity and inclusion is very important in the HR profession and diversity of experience is also key. So play up those transferable skills and the people management initiatives you've been involved with - be proud of the different perspective you can add! Keep us posted on how you're getting on!
  • Emphasise the HR & training side of your experience.

I came into HR very late - luckily it was around 1990 when there was plenty of jobs to be had - but I had to lower my sights a bit to get a start.