Qualfications alongside each other

I would just like to hear any comments and thoughts on a situation.  If you have two people who do the same job within a HR department but one is a Chartered Member and the other an Associate Member would you expect them both to receive the same rate of pay?

• Yes if they are doing same job.
  • Unless there are significant differences in actual responsibilities, I would expect them to be in the same salary band. Fine differences between their individual in that band might, legitimately reflect other factors (for example, one is on a fast devemopment track, the other isn't)
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

12 Sep, 2017 09:44

Agree. Progressing a CIPD membership may boost earning potential, but should be evidenced by knowledge, capability and *experience*. Having said that, a Chartered member would generally have 3+ years’ relevant managerial-level experience... but it's not set in stone.

I'll see if I can get a colleague here to jump in and provide a better answer.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Paraphrasing another debate

The question really is do you want to pay for inputs (qualifications, prior status, previous jobs) or outputs (what someone actually achieves and does.

The only main exception to this is in the finance arena where typically you pay people extra as they get qualified. But theoretically (a) this enables them to do more and (b) they become more marketable to other employers as part/full qualified. HR is a long way away from this