Career advice needed please.

Hi Everyone

I am currently a stay at home mum of 4 young children, but with my youngest now 18 months old and my twins starting school in September i am starting to look for work after a 3 year break. To prepare myself for work, for the past 18 months, i have been studying the CIPD level 7 Diploma in HRM and due to finish in July.  I have an undergrad degree in Business Management with HR. My husband and I ran an adult education company for 12 years prior to my career break. We had 50 staff across 10 locations with a turnover of £1.2 million, so a relatively small company. We grew this company from scratch and as it grew and we took a step back from the day to day teaching I took charge of the HR side of the business. Basically a very generalist role which, i when i went on mat leave with my first child, i had a very devolved HR approach where i coached the managers through, recruitment, performance management, benefit and reward,etc, whist still having a solid grip on the business and HR strategy and policy development, etc. I had a very positive performance management system so we had little need for disciplinary and grievances, which i am perceiving now is the "bread and butter" of HR. Before setting up the company I only had admin jobs as i was only 20 years old when we set it up.

My Question is really, where do i sit in the HR market? I am passionate about SMEs and making a difference so wondered if i should go into some sort of consultancy, but i'm not sure if i have enough experience , or is this just a lack of confidence as many stay at home mums have in my situation. or should i try to get a job first, and if so what should i apply for? L&D with my company being in that sector or a HR role of some sort?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Lucy 

• Hi Lucy,

Don't doubt yourself.

You are studying Level 7 which will enable you to apply for higher level jobs.

Also, your background is very interesting with some good experience.

You need to decide what job in HR or L&D you would like to do and then apply. Don't be disheartened if you don't get something straight away as it takes a few application forms and interviews to get a job but keep trying!

I just got a new job and it took me sometime to be successful but everything is possible if you persevere and keep trying until you achieve what you want.

Good luck!

Viktorija
  • In reply to Viktorija:

Thank you for your encouragement.
  • Hi Lucy,

The level of position you apply for should reflect how comfortable you are in managing different aspects of HR. A well designed CV is also very important as it opens or closes the right doors. A key is to get your dream interview, then you will get an opportunity to shine and convince the employer that even though your previous job title did not have 'HR' in it, you are still a suitable candidate for the role.
    The key is not to give up and keep trying, it may take a few good weeks to secure your dream job; CIPD Level 7 is a really high qualification however to be noticed by recruiters you need to demonstrate you have the right skill set. You have different type of employers though - some are more experience focused, some value education higher.

I would start off with applying for different levels of jobs and see what gets you the most responses or try with HR Advisor / Officer level to get you into working and then try higher calibre roles.

The best of luck to you!

Regards
    Gosia
  • In reply to Gosia:

Thank you