Level 7 award?

Hello fellow CIPD members,

I have been following the community boards since I joined the CIPD and this is my first post to seek advice, so here goes!

I will shortly complete my Level 5 Diploma in HRM, having started on a work based course, being made redundant during it, and now completing it on a fast track basis with a training provider. The finish date is in July. The course has been enjoyable, interesting and has been challenging enough to cover what I didn't know such as TUPE but also pitched at the right level to confirm I do have a wide ranging knowledge of the majority of topics. It also accredits the 12 years experience I have in two SMEs where I've been responsible for HR from maintaining holiday records to disciplinary meetings and change management programmes. My experience covers a wide spectrum but I have usually been the sole or one or two HR practitioners in an organisation.

I'm aware that as my previous roles haven't been exclusively HR, and more Office Manager including HR, that I may need to go in at a lower level ( please correct me if I'm wrong on this).

My question concerns an opportunity I have to undertake a Level 7 award in Employment Law and/or Employee Relations with the training provider I've been with for my Level 5. I'm considering it for the following reasons 1) curiosity and geniuine interest in developing my knowledge further, 2) I am not currently working and have the time to do this now, 3) I think to will be helpful in my job search upon completion of the Level 5.

However, I always try to take a rounded view and am concerned I could put off potential employers who think I'm overqualified for the entry level positions to get into HR ( as I mentioned earlier in this piece).

My plan with regard to job search post qualification is to secure interim positions to give me the opportunity to experience different aspects of HR across various environments and organisations sizes before looking to secure a permanent position.

I'd really welcome thoughts from my colleagues.

Best wishes.

Charlotte.

• Would agree with point (1) and with point (2) would challenge point (3) it is (IMO) unlikely to make you more employable and may with some employers make it harder for you to secure an entry level position.

Personally I am not sure an interim route would be the way for you to go - I think the ideal role would be a longer term one being coached/mentored by an experienced HR professional. Hard to get I know.

Welcome to the active side of the communities.