Starting advice - CIPD Level 3 or Level 5?

Hi there, I hope that you are all well.

I am looking for a bit of advice on my steps towards a HR career path. Background wise I got an English degree, then spent 5 years in the recruitment industry (I appreciate that this already may put me at a disadvantage in my journey to HR with the negative stigma around agencies) - this has been a mixture of 360 recruitment, sales/account management, temporary staffing placements and then I moved into working closely with HR for permanent senior managerial roles across Europe. I have also done administration, payroll, accounts and have a good knowledge of employment law. 

The past two years I took a step back to be a stay at home parent with my child who is now ready to go to nursery and I wish to finally go on the journey to become a HR professional. This is something I have always wanted to do and a reason I moved away from temporary recruitment into permanent recruitment and payroll/admin roles. Whilst I would love to have a HR administrator role to start with - I am aware that I may need to go for another administration type role first or even an internal recruitment role before I could be even considered in a HR role. 

I am planning to self fund my CIPD and get the ball rolling - and originally decided to do my CIPD level 3 - however after speaking with both online providers and two colleges they have all recommended that I go straight for a CIPD level 5. I am unsure if this is the right move. I am very serious about entering the field and know the challenges I may face. 

Would it be better for me to go for the CIPD level 5 or based on my background - start with CIPD level 3?

Thank you for taking the time to read. 

• Hi Gabrielle

As I was reading the first paragraph I did think you would be fine with level 5, however, if you are looking to gain an HR Admin role, level 3 will give you a good grounding to support this.
    When I did my level 3 I had a degree and was told I could go straight to level 7 (no such thing as level 5 then) I am so pleased I did level 3 first!

Ultimately it is up to you, I would recommend looking at what each course covers and what you are hoping to get out if it., what are your career goals? Are you able to afford to do level 3 then level 5 after? It does sound from your background that you could go straight to L5, but I would encourage you to take advice from the providers on why they are recommending you go straight to Level 5 and find out from them the benefits of doing this over starting with level 3.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • There are lots of threads asking broadly similar questions so jump into the search function and it’s likely you will get lots of good advice.

I think any reasonably graduate ought to be able to cope with level 7 academically let sling 5.The question however I always ask however is are you badge collecting or are you filling in knowledge gaps. That’s the key question.

Many people find themselves in no mans land being over qualified for their experience.

Having said all that in your shoes I would go 5.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

29 Jun, 2021 14:55

In reply to Keith:

Yup. Most recently this one...
    www.cipd.co.uk/.../level-3-to-level-5
  • I would go level 5, always looked at level 3 as complete entry level like a college certificate explaining the fundamentals but with your background in recruitment and understanding of some terminology used you would be fine at a level 5 which I would put on parr with a working degree and will broaden your knowledge quicker
  • Thank you for the responses - they were very helpful. I have enrolled onto the CIPD level 5 course today. Thanks again!