Masters Degree in HR or CIPD 5 or 7 Diploma?

Since graduating with a non-HR related undergraduate degree a few years ago I have been working in HR, predominantly in Resourcing focused roles with some more generalist aspects. There is a potential opportunity for me to move slightly up/sideways into a generalist HR Advisor position and potentially study for a relevant qualification alongside the role, however I'm feeling pretty confused as to the route I should go down!

My initial assumption was to do the Level 5 CIPD Diploma this seems to give pretty broad exposure to the core operational/ lower level strategic areas of HRM. However... as I have already gained a 1st class undergraduate degree part of me feels like I should be be using my energy/ time/ company's money to study for a higher level qualification.

It seems as though the Level 7 Diploma is really reserved for those at Senior Management level which makes me feel it would not be appropriate for me (and I am unlikely to meet the criteria). The other option is for me to do a CIPD accredited Master's course which I believe would lead to MCPID? My slight concern with doing this is that it would lean very heavily on the theoretical side, also the cost seems generally much higher which again makes me wonder if it is worth doing.

I would very much appreciate any advice on this!

• I had a non HR related degree when I started out in HR around nearly 20 years ago. At that time I decided to study what is now Level 3 part time to get into HR. About 10 years later I then completed my NVQ Level 4 (no longer recognised as a CIPD level) as at the time I didn't have enough exposure or experience to successfully complete level 5.
    Now, in the last 12 months I have finally been able to receive funding to continue with my CIPD qualifications. I had the same issues when discussing with different providers where some advised Level 5 , others Level 7 .
    1 thing to take into account is how you are studying - as if you are studying through a university you are more likely to be able to complete a level 7 due to it being taught etc. Level 7 as distance learning/mixed mode is much more difficult as if you are not almost Director level, you will struggle to have the experience/exposure to what you need to complete it.
    The kind of things that the providers were considering were whether Level 5 would stretch me enough or that at my level would I be able to evidence the experience required for level 7.
    In the end I started Level 7 and found the issues outlined above. It was then decided that I would be best to complete a level 5 which does now seem the right level - but does still stretch my knowledge and learning.

Hope this helps as I know it's not a straightforward decision.
  • I would do the level 5 diploma. Then in future after gaining more experience you can do level 7. I rarely see HR Manager/Advisor job adverts requiring a masters, it's mostly level 5 CIPD.
  • I would actually recommend taking the Level 3 first as this provides a good grounding in generalist HR. As you have a degree you will be able to write academically as required by the CIPD. However your focus has been resourcing and the level 3 introduces L&D, developing yourself as a practitioner, understanding how HR works with the organisation and you also get to grips with the language of HR. In my experience I have taught a student with an HR degree the Level 3.