Syllabus Change Level 7 in HR?

Hi all,

A bit of context:

Today I spoke with a salesperson from Avado who was trying to sell me level 5. This came several days after my initial inquiry, during which I researched and realized level 7 was far more worth my time and money. So I asked if they offered Level 7, to which he said CIPD is going to change the syllabus so they are waiting for that to happen before they start offering that level.

My questions are:

A) Is this just somewhat of a clever excuse to justify indefinitely not offering courses at level 7?

B) Or is it true that a change is coming soon, and so it´s best to wait before doing level 7?

My gut tells me A is true because he was shamelessly trying to discourage me to go for Level 7 with reasons such as "it costs >7k" and "it´s for director level". 

What are your thoughts?

Many thanks

Marco

• I think he is just a salesman
    If it were changing that would be no reason not to do level 7.

Welcome to the communities
  • Level 7 is a higher level qualification that is targeted at people operating at more senior levels able to direct and influence strategy/policy. To get the most out of a L7 course you should be exposed to those sort of activities.

However like any "academic" course pretty much anyone can actually do a L7 course (and indeed some students do right after an undergraduate degree without any experience. Whilst I think this is probably a bad idea it does happen and they pass the course (the difference I guess between qualifications and learning)

So while there is a grain of truth in what he says I think like Peter Stanway this is just a sales pitch as they want (for whatever reason) to push you towards a L5. Even if syllabus is changing any qualifications gained will still be valid as many members will have "qualified" under the old regime.
  • I heard something similar from a College about the L5 Diploma, not offering it this year as it is being changed
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

9 May, 2019 15:03

Hi Marco,

A million apologies for the delayed response. I did consult with CIPD colleagues but for some reason this got mislaid back in March.

The information I have from the CIPD team is that currently AVADO do not offer our Level 7 qualifications in HR or L&D.

From September 2020 we are launching new qualifications based on the New Profession map. However... we are still encouraging students who want to start studying now to do so. The current qualifications are still fit for purpose and valued and while the new Profession Map will influence the content of our new qualifications, every existing qualification still carries the CIPD stamp of approval. If you wish to do the Level 7 now then you can find all the centres offering it on our website - https://nmj.cipd.co.uk/qualification-finder

If you'd still like to talk through your options with CIPD, you can call the Membership and Qualifications Enquiry team on 020 8612 6208.

Hope this helps.

• In reply to Steve Bridger:

Qualification finder doesn't work Steve, I did report this last week (just get a blank page)
  • In the past 20 years, CIPD qualifications at the highest level (they haven't always been 7) have changed twice if you extend that to 30 years then it's four times. Are students better qualified now that they were 15 years ago? Probably not, seeing as students back then had to contend with four exams, six assignments in year one, three extremely hard exams in year two plus assignments, another two extremely hard exams in the third year plus assignments plus a lengthy management report. Fast forward to today and we are down to two exams plus assignments, the assignments have always been tough so pretty pointless saying they are harder now. People gaining qualifications now will still have a good HR qualification and to tell the truthy most HR people won't have a scoobies about the qualification that you will study only the one they did! I think it is pretty crazy to do Level 7 without any experience of working in HR at that particular level, £8k per year is a silly amount of money to spend on a course without experience but people still do it thinking they will be "heads and shoulders" above everyone else! Still, if they can afford it or service the debt that is up to them.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

10 May, 2019 09:13

In reply to Paul:

I did try it, Paul... but it took a while to load.