Does it matter where you do your CIPD?

Hi All, 

I am planning to do CIPD Level 5 Diploma and where I currently live I have a choice of different organisations that provide CIPD, such as AVADO, MOL/Kaplan, Watson Martin, University of the West of Scotland and few others. Looking at each provider I noticed that there are some differences when it comes to prices and length of the training etc. I hope someone can advise which training center/institution or university would be the best to choose and what should I be looking at when choosing the right place to do the qualifications. Also, does it matter where are they the qualifications are done? 

Thank you in advance! 

Kind regards, 

Marta

• Hi Marta,

I did mine through ICS Learn and it worked well for me as I could fit it around my existing work commitments and the tutors there and excellent and very quick to respond to any queries.

I would highly recommend them.

David
  • In reply to David Allan:

Thank you David. I will have a look at ICS Learn.
  • In reply to Marta:

I also did mine through ICS and their course material was badly prepared and some of it was out of date. I'd be careful to get recommendations from people currently using the service before making a final decision. (And in the interest of fairness I did do mine many years ago so hopefully is better now!)
  • In reply to Meg:

Thanks Meg, I will take that into consideration.
  • Hi Marta

While there will be differences between providers, I can't remember ever being asked where I did my training so I would just go with the one that works best for you in terms of fees, timings etc. I don't think that any providers are more prestigious than others.
  • In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

Thank you Elizabeth
  • Hi Marta,

Obtaining a CIPD qualification will add to your knowedge and boost your career within the HR field.

I have done my CIPD Level 5 HRM with AVADO (an online learning institution). I would highly recommend an online learning rather than classrooms because it is cheaper and you can study at your own your preferred time.

AVADO are well organized (they divide the course modules into weeks and they have study breaks in between) and the team is very supportive. The tutors give sufficient online support sessions and quick in their responses. You can complete the study in 11 - 12 months. The only disadvantage is that they dont provide the Diploma level. They provide the certificate level (which was good for me). However, you can still upgrade your qualification to Diploma through ICS Learn.

Hope this could be of help and good luck in obtaining the CIPD Qualification! :)
  • Hi David,

I am in the process of completing Level 5 with Avado; I also did Level 3 with them. You need to consider what you are looking for from the provider. Avado have a structured programme and you will need to do the modules in order and submit assignments by a specific deadline. Tutor support is very good with cohort cafes, tutor support sessions and the tutor is also available by email/phone. I have read mixed reviews about ICS; I have however decided to go with them for Level 7. They don't have specific deadlines for assignment submissions. You also need to consider whether you want to do the certificate or the diploma. As Eliman says, Avado are not currently offering diploma level but I think they are going to offer modules that would bump it up to diploma level.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Christelle
  • In reply to Eiman Ibrahim:

Thank you so much for you suggestions.
  • In reply to Christelle:

Thank you!
  • I looked up all the distance learning providers that covered my area (East Midlands) and asked for further information. Some offer workshops which are beneficial for many, but for me it was difficult to get to them as none of them were particularly local. As my employer was funding the course I went for the cheapest price in the end.

AheadHR provided an assigned Coach/Assessor who I mainly contacted via Skype (when it worked!) but could also phone or email. Whilst you have to be rather motivated to do a course this way, I preferred the flexibility (as I worked in 1 county and lived in another over an hour away). I had around 2 months to do each module and had the flexibility to extend a bit if required (particularly when I moved house!)
  • In reply to Clare:

Hi Clare,

Thank you, I've never heard of AheadHR, I will look them up.

Kind regards,
    Marta
  • In reply to Marta:

It matters how you do it
    I see enormous benefits from students getting to meet other HR professionals and making good friends as well as working/studying co-operatively
  • In reply to Marta:

They just came up on the CIPD course finder when I searched for providers that covered my area and the level I wanted to do.
  • In reply to Peter Stanway:

Definitely. When I did my Level 3 I was completely new to HR so found the 'classroom' setting very beneficial.