The HR Barrier

I have recently graduated from Teesside University with a masters degree in HRM and a CIPD lvl 7.

As most jobs require a CIPD lvl 3-5 I felt quite confident that I would get a job quickly. However, little did I know that small businesses require immediate experience of at least 1-2 years. Bigger companies require 1-2 experience in a large dynamic HR environment. Most jobs are in Manchester or London. Therefore, without any experience I can not even get a job as a HR admin or advisor. I could get a job as a recruitment consultant, but even recruitment jobs require inhouse experience (none of the glorified call center experience). Once you finally reach step 1 (getting HR experience), there is another barrier into step 2 (busy dynamic HR experience. Not to mention small business merge HR admin with Payroll. Also, there are no graduate positions at all in my area (+30 miles) and I am not allowed to do any apprenticeships now.

At this point I would do any free experience to get started but most companies expect over a whole year. Any advice on where to start (I am based in the North East)? I would appreciate any recommendations. I have emailed every HR company within 15 miles. Applied for every HR position within 35 miles. And I have been doing this for about 2 months now. I might have to get a bar job if it takes any longer.

I look forward to hearing replies, thank you!

Ryan

• Hi Ryan
    Change is always "interesting"!
    At Cullen Scholefield we like to "give back" so I if you go onto cullenscholefield.com and select Career Review then upload your CV I can take a look at it and give you better advice.
    Kind regards
    Maureen