CIPD level 3 certificate vs diploma

Hi,

Having worked many years in finance, I am wanting to start a career in HR. I have no experience and I am happy to start at entry level. I understand it can be hard to even get an entry level job, so I am going to undertake the CIPD Level 3 to improve my chances.

I am unsure as to whether I should do the certificate of the diploma? One person told me that the certificate was sufficient, and that the extra knowledge gained from the diploma wouldn't be a deciding factor as to whether I get a job or not. Someone else advised that I should definitely do the diploma, as I will have the edge over those applying who have the certificate and the extra knowledge is useful.

In the scheme of things the diploma is only an extra 3 months, but I have a lot of big personal commitments over the coming year and so the shorter the total qualification time the better. I just wondered what you would advise?

• I would do whats right for your circumstances. I have recently completed the level 5 certificate, i had started to do the diploma but a lot of personal things happened between wanting to start and my company agreeing to pay for it, so my time available to study outside of work had greatly reduced. I plan to upgrade it later to the diploma when i have more time to study again. I spoke at length to the CIPD and and my provider about it and you can always upgrade later, better to have a CIPD than none.
  • Hi Amy
    If you feel that the time commitment is too much at the moment for studying the diploma stick with certificate as you are likely to be demotivated if you cannot progress with the qualification as quickly as you would like. The certificate is a perfectly adequate qualification for starting out in an HR role. You may wish to shop around for providers so that you study the subjects you are interested in or would fit with the type of roles you wish to apply for. There are core units that everyone has to do but the remaining 18 credits are covered from different optional units so you do have a bit of choice.
    Jill
  • Hi Amy,

I'm currently studying for the level 3 diploma. My decision was made by the additional modules covered in the diploma. The company I work for was happy to pay for either, but the additional modules in the diploma are particularly useful for where our company is on it's HR journey. I don't know if the modules differ with providers, so might be something to look at.

Laura

• Amy,

Usually Job adverts do not specify which kind of qualification (certificate or diploma) you should have, they just state 'CIPD qualified'. Based on the job role itself it may state which level i.e. Level 3, 5 or 7 you should at least have. The diploma is usually slightly expensive than the certificate.

if you have time then I'd say go for the diploma now and save time later, however if not then just do the certificate as i think you would also gain enough information as a starter then update to diploma or a higher level at a later stage as you progress through your career.

Shop around with qualification providers, as some are cheaper than others (if you are paying yourself then it's handy)

Good luck in your final decision making.