New to HR and CIPD - Please advise (any advice will do!)

Hello everyone,

I have been working (and studying) as an accountant for over 5 years but I have finally decided to switch my careers. This is not just a all-of-a-sudden decision - I have always seen myself working in HR and decided that if I am going to do it, I am going to do it now.

I have been trying to find out whether I can begin my CIPD studies with economics / finance education background (both BSc and MSc in economics) and experience in accounting only. How and where do I begin? I cannot find a reliable source of information as to what I need to do first.

Also, would anyone advise recruitment role as a first step in switching to HR or has anyone else been in my shoes but found a practicle solution?

Many thanks in advance, any advice will be highly appreciated!

Best wishes

Darya

• Hi Darya and welcome to the Community. With your background it would seem to me that looking at analytics and data jobs within HR might be the better first step. You could trade on your current skills while getting to know more about the HR function.
    What do other people think?
  • In reply to Anna:

Dear Anna

Thank you for the reply.

Some people have advised to start with volunteer work, at least 1 day in a week, which I strongly agree with. What would your opinion be on that and / or is there any insstitution that might provide further practicle guidance? Also, do you believe that CIPD networking events might really help those who are thinking about switching to HRin terms of connections?

Thanks you for the advice again, very appreciated.

Best wishes

Darya
  • In reply to Darya:

If you read some of the posts on this Community Darya you will see that HR is a very competitive and quite difficult field to break into.
    You need to be very clear on what you already offer an employer; and as I said you will have transferable skills from your accountancy background. Identifying these should be your starting point. In this respect networking at CIPD branch events could help you find people already working in HR roles that are willing to support you in identifying what those skills are. (It's not something I can offer as I freelance in a very specific area.)
    Once you are clear on what your skills are, you can consider volunteering on the basis of the skills you have. But this is a way to get experience in applying the skills/knowledge you have within a real HR environment, not a way of getting training.
  • Hi Darya
    I found that studying for HR qualifications helped demonstrate to employers that I was serious about the career in HR. I think network and CIPD events will also help you as the more you learn about different HR areas you will find what you enjoy and are interested in. I went into the reward area as I enjoy working with numbers as well as projects and managing suppliers. Your understanding of financials would be great for area like pensions, pay and bonus analysis etc from the reward side.
    Good luck
    Clare