Mid-Career Transition To HR

Hi

I am a mid-40s senior RAF officer currently looking at options outside of the service. I have a largely operational background but have undertaken several roles with formal HR responsibilities. My current role is HR/training focused and strategic in outlook,which I am really enjoying. I am looking to undertake a distance learning CIPD Level 7 qualification throughout 18/19 to enhance my skills in this area and potentially make me more employable in the future.  I am considering HR as a future employment route and ideally at a reasonably senior level. Is this achievable and will the Level 7 qualification make me more attractive to potential employers?  I would be very grateful for any advice.  

• Hi Simon, while I was not in the RAF I was in the Irish Police Force and decided to transition to HR in my early 40's, I moved from ROI to the UK after I completed my CIPD Level 5 and other courses. My advice would be to start with a Level 5 in HRM, that to really get fully advantage of the Level 7 you need to be working in the HR field first. In terms of the CIPD Level 5 this would give you plenty to learn and understand, especially the different terminology.
    I like others found it hard to transition, not from moving from a Public Servant to a Civilian as I had been planning that for some time by interacting with mainly Civilian friends outside of work, doing other courses where I was around Civilians this got me out of the 'Lingo' and 'banter' and I learnt a lot about working in the private sector as a result but for getting companies to understand my 'transferable skills, knowledge and experience' I found a lot of companies did not see how I had 'transferable skills' but eventually I found a company that did understand. There are companies out there that like having ex forces working for them for a number of reasons, you need to keep going, go to Networking groups, CIPD evenings (these are on Eventbrite.co.uk and are free, you will find meeting other members a great advantage.
  • Hi Simon,

Have you made any progress? I left the RN after 6 years service, so much less experience, but I opted for level 5 CIPD as I found most employers specified CIPD qualification as essential, but not the level. If you are looking at a HR Director role though, then Level 7 is a must. Will the RAF pay your full fees? I used ELCs after leaving, so cost was also a factor for me. I have secured a role in HR, but it was hit and miss with employers whether they took the time to consider my experience. Something to consider is Employment Law; this is a must for a lot of employers, so it might be worth looking at any additional courses in this area above the Certificate/Diploma as I'm assuming your roles have been mostly subject to military regulations. I recommend AVADO learning for the certificate/diploma if you're comfortable carrying out your own reading and learning in your own time - it's 100% online and there are start dates throughout the year.

I second the comments regarding the Officer's Association. I was put in contact with a former officer now working as a human capital consultant in London, she was excellent, not least because she gave me the confidence to just go for it. She secured her role through networking, so I would advise starting to make connections through LinkedIn and the OA.

Good luck,

Amy
  • In reply to Marion Galvin:

Marion

Thanks for the advice. I think the transition period is really important to get right as it is a mental switch as well as a physical change. The trick for me now is to start identifying companies that understand what comes with the military experience. Thanks for taking the time to provide some advice -I really appreciate it
  • In reply to Amy:

Amy

Thanks for the comments. I will have to use my ELCs for the course and pay the rest myself. I am happy with on-line learning as it will give more flexibility so thanks for the tip on AVADO. I am going to see the OA next month and then sort out LinkedIn and start some networking. I am really grateful for you taking the time to provide some advice.
  • In reply to Simon:

I meant to say, as well as OA, the CTP (as much as they'll try to put you on a course about registering for a doctor!) were able to provide good contacts. They have a list of former officers who are happy to be contacted for careers advice/networking. I'm not sure how much information they will give you unless you're in your last two years of commission/resigned. They also hold career fairs which if you can attend great, but if not they have a list of attendees which gives you an idea of who is open to ex-military.

The NHS is pushing forward with an ex-military recruitment programme called Step into Health if you would consider public sector. A former colleague of mine is assisting with the programme's expansion in Leeds. And Amazon have a dedicated ex-military recruiter who is readily available on LinkedIn.

Finally, if you use the ELCs it might be worth enrolling for a certificate in one financial year and topping up to the diploma in the next.
  • No idea if this is not allowed (admin please delete if so) but I was searching this morning for some comparator roles in schools (I work in a secondary school) and saw a role being advertised by Michael Page for a west London school. It was a school business manager role that included HR, and they specifically mentioned the military as a background they would be looking for. It was quite a broad/ops role but might be quite an interesting one.
  • In reply to Simon:

Hi Simon, I saw your post last year and followed the discussion with some interest, having also been a senior RAF officer (I left a couple of years ago) with aspirations to transfer into the world of HR. That's probably a different story for another time, but in response to your question about Chartered status: I looked at both options and chose not to do the L7 but went down the professional assessment route (I used an Enhanced Learning Credit). I found it pretty straightforward, with some good advice from those who had been down that route. My feeling was that in my last couple of years in the RAF I would have enough on my plate without taking on a lengthy, expensive and demanding distance-learning programme. In retrospect that was the right call for me, but I do encourage you to do your own cost-benefit analysis.

In considering whether the L7 is right or not, remember that it won't get you Chartered membership directly (whereas the assessment route might) as you will become an Associate and then need to upgrade - so the question is whether you will learn anything that makes a difference to employability.

My take on it, almost 3 years down the road, is that in the military we become very focused on badges and qualifications as the career management system requires them for almost any job, whereas in the commercial world the focus is almost entirely on what experience you have. For what it's worth, therefore, my advice would be to start networking and use that to identify your relevant experience and what advice they have to close any gaps.

I'm not sure what the protocols are here regarding direct contact, but if it's OK by the CIPD and you think it would be helpful I'm always willing to offer any support I can. BTW, have you tried the CIPD's own mentoring service? I haven't, but might be worth a try.

Cheers, Steve
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Nina

So sorry for my late reply. Thank you for thinking of me when you saw the advert I will take a look. Many thanks.
  • In reply to Steve:

Steve.

Many thanks for your perspective and advice. I looked at the assessment route and will take another look. I am not sure about the protocols either but would be grateful for any further advice or a chat. Thank you

Simon
  • In reply to Simon:

As I am genuinely not selling anything at all, and am acting only in the spirit of one who has travelled the same road, I'll take a chance (moderator, please delete this post if I'm exhibiting poor etiquette or breaking the rules for use of the fora and accept my sincere apologies).

You can find me on LinkedIn as Steve Harpum and I'd be happy to connect and take it from there.

Cheers, Steve
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

8 Feb, 2018 07:49

In reply to Steve:

Steve, Simon... no problem at all. Connect...
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

8 Feb, 2018 08:22

In reply to Nina Waters:

Hi Nina, think our community manager Steve would agree, that you're adding value in a helpful way with your suggestion but what we don't allow is actual job adverts via these boards. All the best Johanna :)
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

8 Feb, 2018 09:44

In reply to Johanna:

Absolutely... nice spot, Nina.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Thanks Steve ... standing by, Simon.