How much harder is a Level 7?

Hello, I have a business undergrad degree and my CIPD level 5 (that I actually found hard due to not being great at essay writing and balancing it with job) I am not a stand along HR BP and my company are encouraging me to complete my Level 7 at a local uni, is it a lot more difficult? I expect it will be harder just trying to see how much harder it is, could someone give me details of the assignments, like how many exams and the length of the exam, and how many written assessments and their word count etc. 

I just want to gage the workload before I commit.

• Hello,
    I completed the level 3 and went straight on to the level 7 without a break. I have almost completed it and am really looking forward to having some spare time back.
    It was certainly more difficult than level 3 but that was what I expected and prepared myself for. Having not completed level 5 I am not able to comment on the difference between those two but it was more challenging.
    I am completing mine at Huddersfield University and the combination of class and assignments is a good blend in my opinion. As my class is a mixture of different levels and sectors it leads to come fantastic debates and more learning than I received at level 3.
    The assignments have been dependant on the session in question though you cover all elements of HR, from employment relations, HR in business context, L&D and managing people etc.
    All sessions had an assignment of around 3000 to 3500 words, though some also had group work. I have had 2 exams, 1 at the end of each year that were for a specific session.
    Exams are 2 hours each and honestly not enough time to write everything you could but plenty of time to make a good answer to the questions.
    I would recommend level 7 to anyone that asks as the amount of theory it has taught me really backs up the practical I am doing daily but it is a big commitment.
    Having said all that if you balance work, level 7 and life well from the start and work on assignments in stages you will complete it in no time!
    Go for it!
  • Hi Chelcey, like Hayley below I went straight from L3 (which I did some time ago) and actually started my L7 yesterday. So its hard to comment on the exact changes you would notice. So far I would say its not a huge step up from degree level. The big difference my tutor kept mentioning was that at L7 it about critically evaluating the topics/policies/research. A lot of "So what?", "Why?" and "What does that mean for X?", its a move away from being descriptive and a need to back up what you are saying with research/journals/etc.

I'm studying through MOL, and there's a lot of assignments and tasks to complete between sessions too, and also as Hayley mentioned two national exams.

Its still early to fully assess the workload but at the moment I am finding it manageable.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

13 Jun, 2018 08:46

Great to hear from first-time contributors. You are all very welcome and thank you for sharing your own experience.