Transitioning to HR but getting 'lost' between job roles and qualifications!

Hi,

I have been working for more than 10 years now in different fields (IT, customer relations, teaching, communications and PR). 

I have 3 master degrees (communications / music management / teaching French as a foreign language) obtained in France. 

I know my background is atypical and I would like now that I'm in my 30s to finally find my real path. For several years I have been thinking that HR was the right path for me as combining education/training and communications.

So now, I have decided to make the big jump and study again. However, I feel terribly lost in the middle of all the qualifications out there and how to get into the HR field.

Which level should I study? Level 3 or level 5 (as I have been working for some time and already have master degrees)?

Should I study the Award, Certificate or Diploma? What are the differences between all of them?

Should I do the Award level 3 followed by a Diploma level 5?

And the second part of my questions is about getting a job in HR without an HR qualification. I am currently looking for a job and I was thinking that it's then the right time to start in HR. But how can I find a job in HR without any experience and degree? 

Should I apply for assistant position? Can I apply for graduate programme scheme? 

Thanks a lot in advance for all your answers. I am currently based in Oxford/London and I would also really appreciate to meet with people from the field to talk about it.

• Hello! I would generally suggest going for a certificate over an award, particularly at Level 3, as the award will only be one module. The difference between awards, certificates and diplomas are how many modules/credits you do. I did the certificate for Level 3 because the extra 2 diploma modules my college offered were L&D which I wasn't interested in, and I'm doing the diploma for Level 5.

It might be worth discussing with a college/learning provider to see what level they feel you're at with your work experience and previous education. They might suggest you go onto Level 5.
  • Personally I would postpone the study and focus my energy on finding that HR job first. You'll see from other posts on this community that an HR qualification - even at a higher level - is no guarantee of finding work. And given your 'checkered' past (3 masters degrees in different subjects) simply showing you're studying may not be enough to persuade an employer you're serious about an HR career.

Think about how your existing skills and knowledge can contribute to an HR role, tailor your CV and find a job that will give you practical experience. If you can afford to do so consider temporary or interim work as well as looking for something permanent.

When you've been in the job for around six months you can reconsider what might be the best qualification to support your longer term HR career.
  • In reply to Anna:

Agree with Anna - your biggest hurdle may well be persuading people to give you an opportunity as you have quite a varied path up to now and jump to something new every 2-3 years and add a Masters qualification each time (I assume) It may well appear to a HR recruiter that this is another badge to be collected

So I would focus on getting a role and getting some experience and then starting a qualification probably at 5
  • I would say considering your master's degrees, a graduate scheme might be a really good way for you to break into HR and many have no restriction on the qualification or subject you studied previously so you should be qualified for entry, but you will need to persuade recruiters you are serious about this career path. Some graduate recruiters also have restrictions that you can only apply if you graduated within the last 1-2 years, so you may need to check entry requirements carefully.

The Civil Service Fast Stream might be a good option for you - there is a HR scheme which will also give you a Level 7 HR qualification and your cross-sector experience and language skills could also be advantageous. You don't have to restrict your application just to HR too, so it may be there's another career path in the Civil Service that would suit you well. The scheme has a very rigorous application process, but you have nothing to lose by applying. The current application window is open for Sept/Oct 2019 starts.
  • Thanks a lot for all your answers. They are very useful.
    I think I am going to try to reorganise my CV with some HR keywords and apply for a first job in HR. I have noticed that most roles request a CIPD qualification anyway so I guess I will either try to find a company which can support the cost of it or will study aside of the job if I can find a job in HR.
    Anyway, all of your insights were very helpful .
  • In reply to Alexia:

Judging by the comments on this Community HR is a very competitive field to get into so many employers will ask for the CIPD qualification as a way of sifting out some applicants. And while having the qualification is always of value, if you can demonstrate that you have many of the skills and the willingness to study this will serve you in good stead.
    Focus on how your existing skills meet the requirements of a job spec and make that very clear in both your CV and any covering letter. Good luck.