Is it worth joining CIPD as a student?

Dear all

I am currently in a dilemma as to whether or not to join the CIPD student account. Basically i had signed up for the CIPD course via the organisation dpg, where i instantly have the access to the cipd community, until later i realise that i have to pay both joining fee and student account fee(£132) to upgrade from the guest account which i currently have, so i called dpg and they said they had paid for my registration fee(which  i thought it would be the same as the joining fee) but it turns out not to be. 

At the moment my whole purpose of joining the dpg was to obtain my level 5 qualification, and it may seem that it can not be achieved if i do not join student account(where you would have a proper membership number). So my question is, is it worth to join as a student account  and did anyone else was with dpg course then pay more for student account just for the sake of obtaining the actual certificate? obviously i wish to step my feet in HR for a long run, so this small amount of investment is just a drop in an ocean, however, i do not wish to invest unnecessary money into this if there are just some materials and resources available where i can obtain free elsewhere. I also spoke to the staff from cipd and they said that having an cipd membership would be more recognisable for any future career prospective, does anyone finds this true?

Can someone please share your views/experiences. 

Thanks in advance and i appreciate your support :) 

Paula

• Hi Paula
    Having access to the CIPD online Communities is one small part of what CIPD student membership can offer you. You'll get access to all the resources on the website, not just the Communities, access to a local branch network which will run events where you can extend your learning and meet other HR professionals, a monthly magazine called People Management, a daily email digest of HR news - I could go on and on! ;-) So the 'account' you are being asked to pay for is much more than just an account - it's a membership of the HR professional body which does give you a lot of credibility. When I signed up with an employment agency recently, one of the first things they asked me was what level CIPD qualification I have and I was able to explain that I hold Chartered Membership of the CIPD which shows that I have post qualification experience too. So it can be very valuable when you are looking for HR roles.
    Hope that helps
    Jackie
  • Hi Paula

I'm doing Level 5 through DPG, and I had to pay all the initial CIPD fees when I did Level 3 with them. I've never regretted becoming a member, the Community on its own has been worth the money, never mind everything else that's included. I pay my fees quarterly by direct debit as that helps spread the cost since I'm on a part time salary.

Perkbox membership is included this year, and I've found that really useful too.

Ishbel
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

16 Oct, 2017 17:00

Hi Paula - I've passed your query to colleagues here at CIPD.
  • In reply to Ishbel:

I didn't know about Perkbox! Thanks for mentioning it, Ishbel.

Jenny
  • In reply to Jenny:

I didn't, either! I wondered why I kept getting emails from Perkbox and assumed it was because they had got my details at a conference or exhibition somewhere as I used to work in reward and Benefits. I finally read one of the emails and realised I had membership. Favourite perk so far? Patesserie Valerie cake. ;-)
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

17 Oct, 2017 11:07

In reply to Jacqueline:

Perkbox is a new member benefit! Well worth digging around for a discount -
    or three!
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

17 Oct, 2017 11:14

In reply to Jacqueline:

Did someone say "cake"...?
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

I particularly liked the free box of Thornton's chocolates! The reduced price cinema tickets for Odeon were also great, although it did mean I had to go and see the Lego Ninjago movie with the kids...

Also thought it will be a worthwhile endeavour for Perkbox, since so many CIPD members will be in charge of reward and benefits in their organisations!

Ishbel
  • Hi
    becoming a student member of CIPD was one of the best things I did. It gives you invaluable access to training materials and resources. It also give you membership to a professional body where, as you have done, you can ask for help and advice form qualified an very experienced HR professionals.
  • Hi Paula,

I've just completed my Level 5 and it was a requirement of my course provider to become a student member. Some of my assignments needed specific access that I wouldn't have been able to access on my guest login.
    Good luck with completing your course.

Stacey

• In reply to Jacqueline:

Thank you Jacqueline. Sorry I just saw this very helpful:)
  • In reply to Ishbel:

Thank you!
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Thank you :)
  • In reply to Jacqueline:

Thank you! Very helpful
  • In reply to Ishbel:

Thank you!