Starting a new career in HR

Hi All,

My name is Stuart, I'm 27 and from the Lake District, I just wanted to come on here and introduce myself as I think I'm going to be spending a lot of time on these boards in the coming months.  

For the last 10 years I have worked within the Police Service where I have spent the last 8 as a PC, over the last few months I have developed a real interest in both HR and L&D with a particular interest in the field of employee welfare at work.  I've been doing my research and am now fairly sure I am going to be starting a CIPD Level 3 Diploma in the coming weeks through ICS, I'd be really interested to hear how others have managed with distance learning particularly those who have worked shifts whilst doing it, I have to admit I am quite apprehensive about juggling a full time job, childcare and "adulting" in general whilst studying.

Looking forward to this new adventure and getting to know some of you.

Best wishes.

Stuart

• Welcome to the communities and good luck in your studies.
  • Hi Stuart

I don't really recommend distance learning, unless you got absolutely no choice. Nothing will replace a face to face with tutor who will explain something you don't understand. I studied certificate lvl 3 with one day a week meeting with tutor and working part time on top of that. There is quite a bit of study involved so for someone who got a 'life' in a wide meaning, it could be difficult but not impossible. I was dedicated and passionate so I didn't really had that much problems. I am not sure if this is the answer you looking for, but I'm happy to help.
  • In reply to Keith:

Thanks Keith!
  • In reply to Marcin:

Hi Marcin,

Thanks for your reply, I was apprehensive about going down the distance learning route pretty much for the reasons you have outlined, unfortunately the nature of my current job and location of where we live means that studying face to face isn’t an option sadly.

I have recently switched to a new three week rota (starting last week) where at the end of my second week I have a 5 day rest day period during which time I am hopefully I can dedicate a significant amount of time to my studies as well as the occasional evening and mid week rest day. So I am optimistic that I will be able to make it work somehow, Thank you again for your reply I appreciate getting other people’s views on the situation.
  • Hi Stuart,

Welcome - to reassure you, I completed the Level 5 Diploma in Learning and Development as a distance course at the same time as; working full time, relocating from abroad back to the UK, managing 4 step-children, and general 'adulting'. It can be done! (Caveat I did mine with Avado).

I found I had to be strict with my time - planning out when assignments were due and working backwards to fit in study and research time, and there were times some aspect of general adulting had to give way (occasionally missing a casual night out). but on the whole because I found the study interesting, the pace was my own, and if I got stuck I could ask my cohort for help, it just worked really well.

I did find that although advertised as totally online, I needed to print resources and research off but then that was my preference.

Kind regards,
    Laura
  • Hi Stuart

I too went down the distance learning route and am currently studying level 3 diploma with ICS Learn. I also live in Cumbria, I'm 25 and just could not find a study centre that offered CIPD ANYWHERE!

I signed up with ICS June 2017 and in September 2017 landed my 1st role in HR (assistant) and since then have found it much easier as I can use what I'm learning at work to help me understand the content better.

Previous to this role, I had zero experience in HR so I count myself very lucky to have been given the opportunity to grow with my company. I hope to complete my level 3 this summer (then move on to level 5!).

I think you should be fine to fit in studying with work, social life etc. ICS break the material down into easy to absorb in sections which you are then tested on. Each unit has formative assessments designed to test knowledge before submitting official assignments too which I find useful.

Feel free to contact me to swap notes while studying if need be? I do struggle to feel involved in anything going on in the HR world as we seem to have literally no networking opportunities up here!

• In reply to Laura Fazackarley:

Thanks for your reply Laura that is so reassuring, it's sounds like you had a lot going on and still managed to get it done successfully.
  • In reply to Natalie:

Hi Natalie, it sounds like we have VERY similar circumstances, unfortunately as nice as Cumbria is there isn't the opportunities that you would find elsewhere. That's really kind of you to offer to swap notes, I may take you up on your offer as I literally know no one else around here with an interest in HR. I have arranged a call with ICS tomorrow and to be honest think unless they say anything glaring I'm going to take a leap of faith and just go for it.