Level 3 diploma - further reading suggestions

Hi all,

I am around half way through my distance learning level 3 diploma and wondered if anyone had suggestions for further reading, something I could be reading outside of the specific study materials.

I currently work in an HR assistant role (only since september, 1st time in an HR role) and feel that some extra insight into the world of HR would benefit me greatly.

I was thinking something along the lines of different experiences in working in HR, tips etc. I absolutely love the subject and believe myself to be very good at it but I lack confidence in myself when imagining being fully qualified and competent enough to stand my own in the business.

Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance!

• Hi Natalie,

I'm doing Level 3 too and something I'm finding really useful is reading forums like this and the CIPD website.

It's obviously great to know the theory but textbooks and our course material covers that, websites like this are full of real-life examples which is great to relate to.

Hope that helps :)
  • In reply to Sarah:

Hi Sarah
    That does help - thank you very much!
    Sometimes I worry that I don't know enough about the general stuff to fit in once I'm qualified. I also worry about the networking side - I know there are loads of events which bring HR professionals together but I imagine I just wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about quite yet!
    I'll have a good read through some of these posts.

Thank you
  • In reply to Natalie:

Hi Natalie,
    I find it useful to read industry related information as it can help shape your thinking and inform you conversations. There are some great sites where the information will be emailed to you on a weekly, monthly basis. am sure some people in your business could point you in the right direction.
  • In reply to Natalie:

Hi Natalie,
    Don't wait to start networking - go to anything that fits in with your schedule and that looks interesting. No-one automatically knows everything but by going along and listening you'll learn. And one day you will be that confident, knowledgeable HR professional!