How to secure my first role in HR?

Hi everyone!

I was looking to seek some advice! I am currently studying my MSc in Human Resource Management with the CIPD Pathway at the University of Birmingham. I have finished most of my modules. My modules included: Training and Development, Managing Organisations, International Perspectives on Industrial Relations, HR Policies in Practice, Change Management, Leadership Development, International HRM, Researching Work, Employer and Employee Relations.

However, I am finding it increasingly difficult to enter the HR job market. My CV has been reviewed by my career consultants on many occasions. I have emailed a wide range of organisations offering to volunteer however I have received no responses. I have applied for internships and jobs also with no response. I am open to any type of HR opportunity and quite flexible in terms of location, given that it is within the West Midlands. I have also been applying to admin roles, but many of these require 2-3 years of experience, which I do not have. I really do not understand how to move forwards from here. Any advice would be highly appreciated! Thank you for your time!

Hazira 

• Hi Hazira, firstly I would suggest read these communities as many people are finding themselves in the same boat. Second, as Robey may ask you, be prepared to explain to potential employers why you undertook an MSC with no practical experience. Unfortunately it may appear that you will be looking to leave an entry level job quite quickly, but won't be considered for a more senior role without the practical experience.

It is a shame that you don't get responses but I think that volunteering in an HR capacity, whilst often suggested, is in fact not too likely to happen, unless perhaps you can find a small charity that don't have any central HR support to draw on. Even then, you would need to demonstrate you can apply learning to a real workplace.
  • Hi Hazira

If you are financially able to, have you thought about temp work? This can be a really useful way to gain meaningful experience
  • In reply to Melanie:

Does this involve signing up with agencies? Could you recommend any good ones? Thank you for your response.
  • In reply to Hazira:

Hi Hazira

Yes, the agencies can send you on assignments. The big players all do temp work such as Reed, Search etc. but you can also look at local ones to you - a quick Google will help you out.
  • In reply to Melanie:

Hi Hazira, I was in the same boat couple of months ago. I have applied to at least 300 jobs after leaving uni in 2017, 5 years working experience already, I even worked full-time whilst at uni, unfortunately not in HR.
    I got an office job for a year as a Customer Service Representative to get used to office environment and started applying this April again. I probably have applied to another 200 jobs but I have been receiving more calls. Now I have been working as a HR Coordinator for the past couple of months and it is going well. From my experience, I would suggest getting a job as Recruitment Consultant for a bit, you do not need any experience or just any office job like admin and then after you got at least year experience it should be easier to get into HR. You also need to make sure to use your lack of experience as an advantage. My employer is quite happy I came "rough" as they could teach me to work the way they wanted me to work. Good luck!
  • Please give it some time, am sure you will find an opportunity.
    Continue to network and let people see how motivated and determined you are to learn. Congratulations in advance