Moving into HR

HI,

I am currently working in customer services and I have done in various different capacities over the past 12 years including roles such as normal Admin, temp team manager, lead agent & export account handling. I am now at the upper limit of how far I can go in a customer service role without changing into a team leader. Unfortunately, this isn’t going to be possible in house where I currently am employed.

What I have found is consistent is no matter where I’ve worked. People seem to be able to talk to me very easily and also approach me with not just job role specific questions, but more questions relating to guidance and advice. This can be from incidents that happened in the office/working environment and also out of work. I really enjoy this side of things as I really enjoy helping people and knowing they can trust me. I’ve also had the misfortune of being managed by someone who intimidates, manipulates and bullied their way through the working day which has also affected my health and wellbeing. However rather than being another successful victim of theirs. I have used this as my motivation to move into a role where I can make a difference and help people who found themselves in this situation too.

I have always been inquisitive as to HR and researching into the role and responsibilities is something I’d really like to get into. I’m planning on returning to college part time to obtain a CIPD qualification in September. I am really serious about moving in HR and making my own career path.

Are there any tips? words of wisdom? Or Little courses that would be beneficial to me in my change of career?

Any advice or guidance would be amazing

Thanks

T

• Hi Thomas

There's lots of advice on here about this type of thing so have a quick search, look at your transferable skills, and be persistent. However I would also urge caution, if you believe HR is about "helping people", then maybe have a look a bit further into it, to ensure it is indeed the role for you. If this is your motivation, sadly you may be disappointed by the reality of HR.
  • Hi Thomas,

I agree with Annabel about the people side of things, this is only a part of it depending on the organisation or the duties of the role however, your role will no doubt encompass looking after some aspect of the welfare of the people and whether that is administering their benefits or being the first line for employee queries then hopefully that will link in to your desire help people.

In terms of tips etc, I think that you are taking the right step in going to college to do your CIPD qualification. Be prepared for the fact that getting a job in HR might not happen quickly. If you are in a position to do some voluntary work that might be an option in terms of getting 'live' experience in a HR department. Dependent on your skills and transferable experience, you may also need to be prepared to take an entry level role OR there are some apprenticeship schemes out there if you are eligible.

Good luck
  • In reply to Annabel:

Hi, Thanks for replying, I probably should have worded my post better - Im aware its not just about helping people and there's a lot more too it.
    I've have a couple of chats with my current HR manager about the role and what it entails and if its something i would be capable doing - its certainly something i'm keen on.
  • In reply to Cass Clothier:

Hi, Thank you for replying. I have a had a look at options available and understand ill probably be looking at an entry job to get started. I will most definitely look at volunteer work to get a "foot in the door" and some experience behind me.
  • In reply to Thomas:

Hi Thomas

I do agree with Cass that someone who is motivated by helping people might find some of the things we have to handle in HR a strain.

How do you think you would cope with making someone redundant? How are you with data analysis - could you put together a credible evidence-based proposal?

It is true that an important contribution of HR to an organisation is to advise on motivation, engagement and culture, but you aren't employed to help people; you are part of the management team. The organisation paying you does so in the expectation that you will help the business to run smoothly, and sometimes this will mean carrying out work that is in the interest of the business but not of the employees. If you want a role that focuses on the more positive side of HR , then I would think about L&D.