Is anyone else struggling to begin a career in HR?

Hello, 

I have recently graduated from university where I studied business management and HR management and achieved a 1st class degree, I am now currently studying my CPD level 5 diploma with DPG while volunteering as an HR admin (I have been volunteering for 3 months now).

My issue is that I have been constantly applying for minimum wage HR admin positions for some time now in order to 'get my foot in the door' within the HR sector, however I have had no luck with regards to this and haven't even been able to secure an interview.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar? 

PS. I have also tailored my CV specifically for the job role but this hasn't had an impact. 

• Edward

Hi and welcome to the communities and also the profession! Congratulations on your degree.

You are not alone (sadly) and there are numerous posts (using the search) of people asking similar questions. Here are a few.

Heres another post where I listed a few of the issues so wont rehearse them again

Obviously I have no idea what your challenge is, it could be location, it could still be your CV or it "could" be that your first is turning people off for minimum wage roles. I would be tempted to leave off your degree classification. The Class might suggest to people you wont stay and will spring onto other things (as you probably will)

Its a tough old world and I wish you all the best. Its a great career but starting is one of hardest parts.

keith 

• In reply to Keith:

Hello Keith,

Thank you for the response, much appreciated.
  • Where are you based Edward?
  • its difficult, ironically it's easier to go through an apprentice HR route. my advice would be to try and get some basic admin skills exp as a starting point that linked with your CIPD could open doors. its unfortunately a catch 22 situation as alot of employers would look at a 1st class degree with a level 5 CIPD and would think you wouldn't stay for long
  • Edward, really sorry to hear of his difficult this is for you. Please message me on linked in if you'd like to brainstorm ideas, I'd love to help you out if I could. And keep persisting...it only takes one opportunity for it all to change! BR, Jessica Larsen MCIPD
  • I would consider looking for HR graduate schemes in your position - I know there are no where near as many as there once was, but it might be a good option. The Civil Service Fast Stream is one option. Most banks also have a HR scheme. Depends what industry you would like to look for.
  • In reply to Alison:

Hi, I'm based in Southampton.
  • Good that you volunteering (I do hope that is with either a charity or statutory body?), however as I point out to people on numerous occasions, merely starting volunteering isn't enough. The best way to describe it using something non-HR. Somebody joins St John Ambulance as a First Aider because they think it will look good on their application form for an Ambulance Technician/Paramedic trainee opportunity. However, although the Ambulance Service is entirely supportive of volunteers it will want to see some real hard evidence that the person has gained some proper experience, which means you're not going to gain much in a few weeks and they know that! Now let's turn this around to something in HR, and you will start to see that people will be counting in years not months.
  • Hi Edward

I'm sure everyone has been in your position, but my general advice would be to keep applying for jobs and look for that important practical experience, however you can and volunteering is always a good start at the pinpoint of your career.

However all I have to say is that, having a 1st class degree in HR Management isn't always sufficient to enter into the field without any practical experience. Again - the catch 22...
    Most people like myself have done the basic forms of administration work and don't have the HR Management degree or alternative/equivalent qualifications (I have a Health and Social Care degree).
    Luckily for me I knew a lot of business directors through professional social networks in the likes of LinkedIn which had helped me so much since graduation.
    So possibly, try networking with other professionals in a sense that they may have something for you in terms of gaining experience?

This was how I (unexpectedly) got into the HR career path.

If you need any further advice, please don't hesitate to give me a nudge.

Otherwise and in the meanwhile, I wish you all the best for your career whichever path you take.

Helen