CIPD Level 5 Online Service Providers - your experiences and feedback, please

Good Evening Everyone,

I'm rather new to the CIPD Community and am really looking for advice and feedback so please be gentle.

I've decided to have a slight career direction change in my life.  I've decided to follow my passion for people and to study for a CIPD Level 5 Diploma in HR online. I have a good educational background and a second class upper degree (Business Studies) so am not frightened of study or hard work. As a recent new father I feel this will give me the most benefit and flexibility as well.

Being the analytical person that I am, I've done lots of research into training provides such as ICS Learning or Developing People Group (DPG) or Avado. All are approximately the same price.

So what I'm really after is your own experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly with either of the three providers ICS Learning or Developing People Group (DPG) or Avado.

Any and all experiences and feedback very welcome. Thank you in advance.

David K

• Hi David,

First, welcome. We’re not a bad bunch here, don’t bite much...

OK, study. I have just started my Level 5 with Avado. Prior to this I completed several Open University modules for CPD, and FutureLearn/OpenLearn modules for interest. So I’m used to online learning.

I have found Avado to be very good. The initial contact was helpful and professional and so far the coursework has been well designed - although I have only done the one module so far. There are some whinges: it can be difficult to navigate sometimes, they have an annoying habit of using a particular site for references that after 3 pages wants you to pay for more, and the references used are not always academically rigorous, but overall I’d give them a solid 9/10.
  • In reply to Teresa:

Hi Teresa, thank you very much for your reply .
  • Hi David,

I too have just started my level 5 with Avado. I have found it a very good experience all round so far, I am enjoying the course and the studying, Avado have been very helpful and supportive. The course material is good and unlike Teresa have found the site quite easy to navigate, we were given time before the course started, with tasks to help us become well acquainted with the site, it's just a matter of time to get used to it just like any other new system.

Melanie.
  • In reply to Melanie:

Hi Melanie

Thank you very much for the feedback
  • Hi David

I'm looking to book my Level 5 sometime very soon, and just wondering if you booked yours, and if so, which online provider you ended up going with?

I have been looking at Avado and ICS Learn. I'm currently leaning more towards ICS as they seem more flexible which would suit better around my employment.

Thanks
    Keri
  • In reply to Keri:

Hi Keri,

Yes I've spoken to a number of providers and ICS seem to be coming out on top for me to. I haven't booked anything just yet as just a few additional pieces to put into place i.e. my CIPD membership for starters. I'm also trying to get some volunteer work experience too... on the side so to speak.

As I'm a self funder the extra interest free payment terms are very tempting. From what i understand the learning methods are similar between most providers as they have a core set to stick too. I've spoken to a couple of current ICS students and they've been positive on the whole.

Might i suggest you speak to Developing People Globally (DPG) as a possible third alternative supplier.

Hope you make a decision soon.

Rgds

David
  • In reply to David Kendrick:

I'll look in to DPG, thanks.

ICS emailed me to say they currently have 15% off if you enroll during September which might be of interest if self funding.
  • In reply to Keri:

Hi Keri

Thank you for that. I will email them and see if they’ll offer the 15% discount on the interest free deal.
  • In reply to David Kendrick:

Hello,

I am currently pursuing my level 5 Diploma with ICS Learn and as a self funder, I don't think it gets any better than that. AVADO and DPG requested a chunk of change as a deposit.
  • Hi David,

I'm a bit late in replying but I've recently finished my Level 5 with ICS last month, it took me about 9 months to complete.

Pros:
    Two e-textbooks provided, with introductory chapters for each module
    The majority of tutors were responsive and marked relatively quickly (some needed a nudge but you can do this by contacting Student Services)
    You can pay for additional time if your support term expires
    Finance options with the ability to pay monthly

Cons:
    Website is clunky and can be difficult to navigate
    Webinars are mandatory for each module and are at set times (but you can view recordings)
    The learning materials that ICS provide were hit-and-miss, some were really good, but others were not as relevant to the assessment
    There are no reminders or deadlines so you have to stay on top of your studies

Hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to get in touch.
    Steph
  • In reply to Steph:

Hi Steph,

That’s great. Thank you for the kind feedback. I’ve spoken to a number of peope and your feedback seems to be very similar to their feedback.

Thank you for your offer too. If I have any questions I will get in touch.

Kind regards

David
  • Hi David,

I recently completed my CIPD L&D Level 3 with DPG and would not recommend them. I can see that you are leaning towards other providers and know that I did a different course but most of the issues were based around organisation and communication (and I know that some of the tutors deliver both.) I also found the eLearning modules to be poorly written with little attention to detail and some fundamental programming flaws. Many links were also expired or out of date.

Good luck with your studies.

Katharine
  • One of our staff is working on her Level 5 with Arch Apprentices www.archapprentices.co.uk/. Our experience has been 100% positive and the Learning & Development Advisor, Natalie Taylor has been excellent.
  • In reply to Andrea Lechner:

Hi Andrea,

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Rgds,

David
  • In reply to Katharine:

Hello Katharine,

Thank you for your kind feedback.

Rgds,
    David