Qualifications but lacking in experience

Hi all

I have recently completed the Level 5 Diploma in Human Resource Management after completing Level 3 a couple of years ago. I am working in an HR Advisor role on a FTC and have over 3 years experience in working in HR.

My issue is that with the end of my contract looming in the new year, I am really struggling to secure a permanent position in a similar role which will allow me to grow and to gain that all important experience.

I have had 3 interviews over the past couple of weeks, none of which have resulted in a job offer. The 1st role wasn't strictly HR based, more general secretarial work and I was marked down because of my HR background, the 2nd was a HR Officer role with the local Constabulary and I was told I lacked in experience, and the 3rd was more of an HR Systems role which, again, I lacked in experience.

I am finding it really difficult to pin point where I should be aiming in terms of next steps, and as with most roles, the events of this past year have had a detrimental effect on the amount of exposure that I would have had to HR issues during my FTC.

Any advice would be appreciated. I suppose my lack of experience in leading in areas such as disciplinary/grievance, change management etc is where my downfall is at the moment.

Thank you

Natalie

• Hi

Its tempting when you are looking for a job to scatter gun everything. That's Ok as long as you don't get disheartened when you get rejections. I can see why you might be rejected from each of those roles. None really fitted where you are or the skills / level you are at.

Targeting as much as possible applications and spending quality time on the process may well pay more dividends - although it seems a higher risk.

Also accept its a very tough time and try and stay as resilient as you can

Good luck