Level 5 or 7

Hi, 

I am new to this community. I am sure this question has been asked in the past but would please need some advice. 

I am really confused if I should opt for level 5 or level 7. If level 7 certificate or diploma.

I have been working in HR (recruitment team for NHS)for the last 6 years now and have been a managing a small team for last 3 years. My role is HR officer though but have 3 people under me.  I have a mix of information about what level I should be doing . I have done masters in  Business management 8 years ago.  . I am currently on my maternity and want to utilise  this time .

Some suggest I should opt for level 5 as this will provide basic knowledge whereas some people suggested I should go for level 7. Also feedback I received  was that I can do level 7 certification first and then top it up with diploma . Is level 7 for top management roles only . Can I do level 7 without level 5. Is level 7 doable. 

Any advice would be appreciated as more I read more confusing it becomes . 

• I had a similar dilemma which I've previously raised here - I had a degree (non HR) , had completed Levels 3 and 4(no longer part of the CIPD qualifcation scheme) and have over 15 years HR experience at Assistant/Advisor level. Speaking to the course providers some said Level 5 wouldnt stretch me enough and others said Level 7 would be too high to do via 'mixed mode' learning. In the end I started the Level 7 as advised by the provider, but then I just wouldnt get the exposure to Head of Service/director level that I would need to successfully complete the course so went back to Level 5 which I did successfully complete and did still stretch me enough.
    It can also depend how you are studying as a number of my colleagues have successfully completed Level 7 as HR Advisors as they have studied it part time at university with more of a taught aspect. Also they have gone straight to Level 7.
    I did the Level 5 certificate but unlikely to get further funding to upgrade to diploma (as unable to self fund) and whilst it is useful it is only a few more modules.
  • In reply to Clare:

Hi Clare,
    Thank you for advice. Really helpful and feel you were in the same boat as me .

I am planning to do it online via ICS but still exploring other online options but classroom study might not be a viable option as I have very young kids.

Also now you have done the course do you think there is difference between much difference between certification or diploma from job market point of view.

Also if I do level 7 certification would I need access to strategic information from work as this course is self funded and I am not relying much on my workplace for any help.

Appreciate your help.
  • In reply to Swati Bansal:

You wont get anywhere near the maximum possible learning out of a L7 course if you do not have sufficient access to a HR department at the right level (and also really the exposure yourself to key decisions) In reality I am sure you could probably pass the L7 if its badge collecting but if its maximum learning and building a proper foundation that its probably L5 you should be aiming for
  • With your experience and qualification you should go for level 7 albeit I recognise the difficulty of workplace assignments but a good tutor ought to be able to help with this.
  • In reply to Keith:

Agree with you here, Keith
    If the objective is to hang a certificate on a wall, then level 7 is (probably) doable, but greater applied learning will only occur if the person is undertaking a senior operational role with regular interaction with members of the senior management team on strategic issues. The risk of going straight for level 7 is that some areas of applied hr knowledge are not acquired through lack of being exposed to them.
  • In reply to Swati Bansal:

I did my Level 5 via Mixed mode which meant I had more flexibility and didn't have to attend a class every week or do workshops. Instead I had a dedicated Coach/Assessor who I would meet with/contact and then submit my assignments through AheadHR's online portal.

I haven't changed jobs for around 9 years so not sure how much impact the Certificate vs. diploma has in the job market. Ultimately it is the same level and leads to the same CIPD membership level - Associate - just a few more modules so a wider range of learning.

For the way I studied I would have needed access to strategic information to demonstrate my experience , but I wouldn't know how this compares to ICS.

I agree with what others here have said, but as mentioned before most of my colleagues have gone straight into Level 7 but they already had a degree and was classroom learning so each individual situation is different.

• In reply to Keith:

Thanks Keith.
  • In reply to Peter Stanway:

Thank you for the motivation Peter.
  • In reply to Ray:

Fair point.
  • In reply to Clare:

Thanks once again Clare for the clarification. It’s really helpful with the answers you provided me to my queries. I will reconsider and look at everything.