What level should I study?

I have been working as an office manager for 6 years. As part of that role I have looked after onboarding and staff wellbeing and now in my new role I am also responsible for recruitment, performance management, dealing with disciplinarys etc. I would like to study CIPD and believe a level 5 is best for me but I spoke to a training provider and she said that as I already have an undergraduate degree (in English Literature) it would be wasting my time doing level 5. That doesn't sound right to me as I don't have the experience to go straight to Level 7. Another training provider agreed with me. What do you suggest?

• Welcome to the communities

For me there are always two answers to this one

1) What level of academic study can I deal with - which the answer for you may well be level 7, given your first degree (although not automatic)

2) Which level will give me the learning and knowledge require. I would say that's most likely to be Level 5 - that seems to be the level you operate at give or take.

So both might be right - but I would go for level 5 to get a solid grounding in HR before progressing possibly later to a L7 course.
  • In reply to Keith:

Thanks. That is what I was thinking so I will go with that
  • I had a similar issue about which level to study at which I posted on here.
    I was looking at Mixed mode distance learning and different training providers were advising the appropriate level as level 5 and level 7! My background was 15 years HR experience, degree , and Level 3 and 4 CIPD. In the end I started at Level 7 but within a month was advised to switched to Level 5 as in a work based context I couldn't get the exposure or had the experience I would need to demonstrate the Learning Outcomes. I have found that Level 5 was enough to stretch me to learn more but unrealistically pushing me too much like Level 7 was.
    So it can also depend on how you study the course as a colleague with little HR experience (but has a degree) has been able to successfully learn via a Level 7 part time university course.
  • In reply to Clare:

but 'not' unrealistically pushing me too much like Level 7 was.
  • In reply to Clare:

That makes sense. I will be doing distance learning as working full time. HR is only a small part of my job right now so I don't think I will be able to get the exposure or experience needed for level 7 either
  • In reply to Jennifer:

I am half way through level 5 at the moment and would thoroughly recommend it for anyone up to HR Manager level. Level 7 is aimed at professionals at more senior/strategic level or Business Partners.
  • In reply to Keith:

I am in the same boat to some extent.

My career is in two parts; I led teams of 10 in Marketing for the likes of Vodafone and then established and now run my own recruitment firm recruiting candidates to C-level. I am now looking to return to the corporate world and thinking of a senior-level recruitment or wider HR role.

Which level of CIPD should I consider doing? I already have a degree, a Masters and a diploma in Marketing.

Thanks, Vaseem