Is HR a suitable career choice for me ?

Hello everyone,

I am very glad to have joined the forum and thank you in advance for reading.

I am considering a change in career and i am wondering if HR is suitable for me? I have a degree in Business form 17 years ago but i didn't pursue a career in Business. I have worked in caring roles in Mental Health and i now run my own Taxi Business. I have always shyed away from office work and the mundane admin roles as i am quite entrepreneurial and can get bored repetitive tasks.. I love the idea of supporting and developing people in business, and i find leadership and Psychology fascinating. Are there specific area of HR that focus on these areas and how would i approach this ?

I am a prestigious learner when i find a topic in which i am interested and i am considering  Studying either an MA or CIPD course. How do these routes of study differ and which is more relevant to the work place ?

I don't have any HR admin experience but i have a lot of active listening and Counselling skills. My Brother in Law may be looking for some one to take over the HR role in in his 30 employee Law and i have emailed my interest. What HR areas would i need to look to develop if i get an interview. The firm is growing and how would one grow the HR function ?

Thank you Chris

• It sounds like you're well placed to respond to the less process-driven aspects of HR, but the problem is that a lot of HR - especially for an SME and the standalone HR person supporting it - is process-driven. The traditional pathway is HR Admin -> HR Advisor -> HR Manager -> HR Director (throw in HR Business Partner somewhere along the way). A lot of people short circuit this and drop in at a higher level, but typically after having had a good deal of exposure to at least some aspects of HR practice, such as employee relations, redundancy/TUPE or payroll.

Your taxi business is the area most likely to have given you the necessary technical exposure. What's your experience with recruitment, contracts of employment and Health & Safety? How many drivers were working and under what conditions? If it was just you as a sole trader, you're not likely to have the technical skills to take on a standalone role without significant coaching.

CIPD courses, whilst excellent in their own way, often don't touch upon the everyday "crunch" of HR practice which can be hard to learn without actually doing it, ideally under the leadership of someone who can guide you through it.

Before deciding if HR is for you, I recommend reading further through this forum. There's a lot of excellent technical and legal advice but, more than that, it is a great illustration of the range of knowledge demanded in the field. If it doesn't send you off to sleep, then maybe it would be worth giving it a try as a career.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

18 Jul, 2017 10:58

In reply to Robey:

"There's a lot of excellent technical and legal advice but, more than that, it is a great illustration of the range of knowledge demanded in the field. If it doesn't send you off to sleep, then maybe it would be worth giving it a try as a career."

...and don't have nightmares ;)

• Chris

Welcome to the communities.

My gut reaction would be that HR may well not be the logical/ideal next role for you. Doesn't mean you couldn't do it or make a success of it but it will be a slog and I do wonder if the sort of roles you are likely to be considered for (family aside) will actually contain all those things you don't like and few of the things you do.

Qualifications will "help" getting you done interviews but you only have to search these forums to see how many people struggle to get their first hr job and often this is the entry level/admin. HR is hugely over supplied in applicants so employers have huge choice and the roles you find interesting are likely to be done way down your career.

In addition it's likely you will take a drop in salary.

So sorry this isn't probably what you want to hear , and whilst it is possible you will find a HR niche, I am not sure it would be what I would advise if I were you starting from here.

But good luck.
  • In reply to Keith:

Thank you, i will just have to set up my own business and circumnavigate the boredom and tedium of working in a large company .
  • In reply to Robey:

Hi Robey,
    Thank you very much for taking the time for such a reply. There is a lot to consider and many areas that are interesting such as employment law and employee relations but some like payroll which sound very dry.
    I wouldn't work for a big company as i would get too frustrated with the processes and the repetition. I am talking with my brother-in-law about working in his law firm and bringing my leadership and people skills.
    The firm is growing quickly and about to lose its only Hr person. There is a need for some one to be able to coach the partners on how improve their leadership skills, and i am happy to get stuck in at all levels.
    Thank you Chris
  • In reply to Chris:

Hi Chris,

My first reaction is that, if you have that independent, entrepreneurial spirit which your post seems to indicate, then entering HR may be barking up the wrong tree. It is much, much easier to do the HR stuff when you are the boss! And, as a colleague said to me many years ago, "You'll never get rich working for somebody else".

Is there a way to develop and expand your current business, perhaps building upon your earlier employment experience?

I expect many Community members who have left large corporates to set up on their own will have found it all most invigorating.

Harvey
  • In reply to Chris:

Setting up your own business sounds like it may suit you better, but most HR consultants have worked and, importantly, gained experience working in HR within companies before they then use that experience to set up their own business.