Returning to UK after living in SA since 1994

Hi.

I am hoping someone can help me with some advice.

Originally from the UK, I have been working as an HR Manager then Business Partner for almost 20 years in South Africa, but will be returning to the UK soon. 

I have an HND in Hotel Management as well as an HR Diploma.  I do not have CIPD, but  many years ago was advised that I may be exempted from part of the qualification.  Since then the qualification has completely changed.

Is there any way I can map this and see what I would need to do to get a qualification? 

Would my lengthy experience be enough to help me find a position, or will prospective employers disregard my application as I do not have a CIPD?

Thank you.

Helen Dyball

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

23 Oct, 2017 12:51

Hi Helen... and welcome. Relevant experience would never (should never) be 'disregarded'... but it will be a challenge for sure.

With regards CIPD... you do have a couple of options:

1. Studying a CIPD qualification and gaining exemptions, and...

2. Using your lengthy experience to become CIPD accredited via the Experience Assessment route. There is an excellent thread here about that (there are many others).

Giving our Membership and Quals team a call would definitely help you decide, I think. The number is +44 (0)20 8612 6208.