Next Step in Career

Hello,

I'm looking to move to a Senior HR Officer role.  I have come across a role that I am really interested in, but I am stumped when it is asking me for my 'understanding of risk management'.  It goes on to ask for management of changing priorities, which I understand.  I haven't come across (at my current level) or heard any of my managers talk about risk management in relation to HR before and wasn't sure how to example this.  I also don't remember covering this on my CIPD Level 5.  I appreciate that risks would be what would the plan be if all your staff walk out, but I always thought this was at Director level?    Not sure how this would be put into a STAR example for a CV either. 

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Lynn

• This might be an interesting place to start your thinking.

• In reply to Keith:

Thanks Keith, I'll have a read through.
  • Hi Lynn - This is something I've come across in terms of HR in slightly different terms that may be relevant. It was looking at risks that specifically relate to the workforce and you probably do have STAR stories around that.

For example, if your organisation has a lot of EU nationals then Brexit is an obvious risk. To mitigate that you may have done awareness campaigns to ensure they all knew to apply for settled status etc. If you have an older workforce there may be a risk that they all reach retirement at about the same time and leave, simultaneously taking years of experience and knowledge, so you may have instigated succession planning. If your workplace uses high demand skills there's a risk of competitors attracting key staff so you could have reviewed the package you offer.

Essentially it's being proactive about identifying anything that could cause problems in terms of having the right people in place and considering how to mitigate etc. Apparently we're overdue a flu epidemic so it could even cover something like that.
  • I think it's basically looking outside (PESTLE) and understanding issues that could arise. As cited above, we deal with EU nationals as soon as the vote for Brexit happened we lost a few skilled workers-my priorities were to provide workshops explaining/ guiding them on how they could apply for settled status. I also had to work out who was definitely leaving the UK. Through surveys etc. We also deal with placing staff within (what could be politically volatile situations). With certain recent events, I had to ensure employees were safe and manage any potential issues that could arise. It's being one step ahead. Knowing you have procedures or policy in place that could deal with a risk your company could encounter.. I hope that helps.
  • In reply to Mrs:

Thank you, this has been really helpful.
  • In reply to Harriet :

Thank you. This helps to put in terms of understanding about being proactive & examples I can use.
  • For me there is also the management of risk on a daily basis, if you have a manager who is not dealing with a performance issue, there is a risk to the organisation, or a manager may want to dismiss someone so you would advise on the potential risk to the organisation dependant upon the circumstances.