Scenario based question....

In this scenario, you are the HR Officer of our company, and Employee A is a fictional character who arranged a meeting with you after learning that their colleague, Employee B, in the same role just got a promotion. Employee A did not get a promotion, but they have been lobbying for one for a while. How would you respond?

Employee A: I was really annoyed to learn that Employee B got a promotion. I’ve been in this role longer. I’ve worked extra hours. I know Employee B is a friend of the manager’s. I’ve asked for a promotion in the past three months but I was told there was no budget. Why wasn’t I considered for this?

Considering HR would have most likely been involved with signing off on the promotion....is it possible to say that I would look into the manager's intentions? Or just keep it as neutral as possible?

• What do you think ? What is the point of the scenario? Is it an exam? Is it real? Why not try and give us your thoughts first?
  • Why do you think HR would be involved in signing off on the promotion?

Is employee A actually you? The fact that you have been in this role longer, worked extra hours and so on is immaterial. Job promotion is often based on competence but there are a lot of other good reasons for promoting someone else.
  • ...and if the employee believes there has been an improper or unfair bias in making this promotion then they should use the grievance procedure, which will require a full and thorough investigation to be carried out.

....and if this is an exam or assessment question then asking for answers on site is not permitted.

P