Postgraduate Diploma

Hello,
I’m looking for some explanations/recommendations about the UK qualifications. I would be really grateful for any advice anyone can offer on choosing the right course level and recommendations of providers. I moved to Glasgow few years ago and I decided to sign up for an MSc in HRM getting, unfortunately, only a Postgraduate Diploma (120 credits). The course was officially recognized by CIPD. My question is: how can I get the missing 60 credits to achieve the master qualification? I tried to contact CIPD but instead, they offered me a CIPD Level 3 Foundation Certificate in HR Practice informing me that it does have any academic recognition. From this point of view, my Postgraduate Diploma credits look like have no acknowledgment. I'm now really confused what I should be doing! I don’t understand why I should start again a course when I already got an academic diploma. It looks like that academic diploma doesn’t have real validity and is more valuable get the level 3. Could anybody explain and give me suggestions?

Many thanks

• Hi, I studied for a Postgraduate Diploma which is a Level 7 masters level qualification. So provided you can demonstrate the experience as well as the knowledge you can become a chartered CIPD member. At my university you could choose whether or not to continue studying and top up the diploma to a masters. I would suggest approaching universities to see what they are offering in the way of top ups.
  • Hi, I realise I am super late to this one but the University of Portsmouth do an MSc top up which you can study via distance learning (apart from a four day workshop).
  • In reply to Rachel:

Hallo and welcome Lelia

There seems to be a misunderstanding somewhere

A postgraduate diploma is indeed a Level 7 qualification which *if accredited by CIPD* will be recognised by them towards membership qualifications. You need to find out from CIPD whether or not it is such recognised, so suggest the best thing might be to email CIPD Membership Development with a scan of your actual Diploma Certificate and ask them to outline in writing what recognition it carries towards CIPD Membership.

Generally speaking, as I understand it, both a Postgrad Diploma and a Masters Degree are Level 7 qualifications, but the Diploma is less broad in scope than a Masters, so can be done as a standalone qualification typically in a shorter period of study than a Masters or can be awarded instead of the full Masters if the institution doesn't consider the student's attainment sufficient for award of or progression to the Masters. If the latter applies, even though the Masters just involves getting more credits, the particular institution might have rules that do not allow someone to do that - they make you stick with the Diploma.

But it all depends on the particular instution's detailed rules about this, and it's impossible to say for sure: only to observe what many of them do.

Hope this helps a little