Level 7 Diploma/Experience/Dyslexia

I am considering studying a Level 7 diploma, I have not studied HR or any of the other CIPD courses however I have completed a Masters in Occupational Psychology previously and I have been in various HR roles for the past 7 years, although none at manager level.

Like some of the others in various discussions, some providers have said that I should do Level 7 however some have said you need to be in a position where you are making strategic and commercial decisions to be able to complete this. From experience can anyone tell me if this is true? I guess my concerns are that I am not a HR Manager, I am a HR Advisor and the other concern is that I am working a maternity cover at the moment so will I struggle with this course due to moving into another role?

Unfortunately I am also dyslexic. I'm assuming others with dyslexia have completed this course so any feedback on support you gained from your provider/cipd etc would be really helpful.

• Hi Amandeep,

I am currently studying the 7 Level diploma, I have a degree in HR and 4 years experience with no previous CIPD qualifications, I have completed 4 assignments at the moment, I am a stand alone HR Officer/Advisor.

It is quite a difficult course and can be very challenging but it is achievable, with a lot of studying! The questions are somewhat strategic and have a different turn on them compared to the lower levels, but i wouldn't say they are impossible to answer, I am not a HR Manager but have managed to complete a few assignments which I have passed - you need to evidence real practice as well, so being in a HR role is crucial.

Are you able to get one of the CIPD providers to do a short test/summary of your skills to determine what is more suitable for you?

From what you have said above, I would recommend the Level 5 Diploma or the Level 7 Certificate, it is smaller than the Diploma and then you can top-up later to add in the other modules to make it the full diploma when you are ready/have the experience

I hope this helps
  • I don't think the dyslexia should be an insurmountable barrier.

In terms of the core course....you can probably do the L7 and pass it - the question is will you get the maximum benefit? Probably not - your learning will be largely academic rather than grounded. HR is an interesting mix of practical and theoretic. You risk missing out on some valuable learning because you cant utilise the information in real time....
  • In reply to Samantha:

Hi Sam, thank you so much for this information. It really helps to gain feedback from someone who is currently studying the Level 7. I think you are right maybe doing the certificate and then topping it up is the route I need to take until I am in a more stable position to be able to evidence real practice of what I learn. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and advise me, I really appreciate it.
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi Keith, being dyslexic is extremely difficult and does hold me back quite a bit but as you said quite rightly its not an insurmountable barrier and its not something I let overcome me. Once I know what the course involves I should be able to create a plan that ensures the dyslexia doesn't stop me from achieving what I need to. There was a time when I used to freak out due to my dyslexia and give up, but over time I have learnt to manage it better, but of course the fear never goes away completely.

I think you are right, I may not get the maximum benefit from completing the Level 7, that's if I manage to complete it in the first place! What would you suggest I should do? Sam has recommended taking the Level 5 or 7 Certificate. Would you agree?

The problem also is its all so expensive and as I am an all or nothing type of person I felt if I was going to do the CIPD then I should do the Level 7. However, I don't want to be setting myself up to fail.
  • In reply to Amandeep Jaswal:

I think that the L5 course would be the better holistic option offering you maximum learning.

I wouldn't see either as setting you up to fail - just one is designed for where you are at the moment - the other for where you might be in a few years time
  • In reply to Keith:

Love the answer, thank you so much!
  • I have already completed Level 3 and level 4 (no longer recognised) and have over 10 years HR experience at Senior Assistant /Assistant Advisor level. I came up against a similar issue as some providers were advising level 5, others level 7. In the end I started at level 7 and as it was mixed mode/work based learning, I found it too strategic (and would have needed exposure too/experience at director level) to meet the learning outcomes. Therefore I re-started at level 5 and found this more manageable, yet still stretching me enough to learn and develop.
    However, I have colleagues with less HR experience at the same level as me and they are doing a level 7 course at a local university. This may be more achievable as the course is taught and more academic.
    So it can depend on how you are doing the course as well.
  • Hi Amandeep,

I recently completed my Master's in Human Resource Management (level 7 CIPD accredited) and during my time in the course I was an HR Advisor (moved to HR Business Partner). The course was a high level but I found it extremely useful. The course had a mix of levels from Head of HR to HR Advisor.

It takes up more of your free time than you would expect - my only tip would be to plan not to have a social life!

I do not suffer from dyslexia but my peer (who soon became a close friend) did and she seemed to manage well - passed with a distinction! They put measures in place to help accommodate (i.e. extra time and stickers on assignments).

Hope that helps :)
  • In reply to Clare:

Clare thank you so much for sharing your experience and advise. I think you are right, it really does depend on how the course is taught and how much you are exposed to in your position as well, as some roles even at junior level may expose more due to a smaller team etc.
  • In reply to Grace Hackman:

Congratulations on gaining your Masters Grace, onwards and upwards from here. I think like yourself I would find the level 7 hard but extremely useful as that is the level I want to be at in my career.

Haha, thanks for the heads up with the no social life side of things, I am quite a sociable person and have already warned myself about this.

Thank you for sharing about your friend who also has dyslexia as this has given me the confidence boost I need! Do you know what her job title is as I'm wondering if she is in a more senior role...

• In reply to Amandeep Jaswal:

I'm not sure of her exact job title but she worked in L&D and managed a team. So I would say more Senior than my role but not Head of Department level...not sure if that helps. Will see if I can loop her into the thread...
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

1 Aug, 2017 09:54

Great thread, Amandeep Jaswal. Thanks for starting it - and engaging with other posters.
  • Hi Amandeep

Well done on your Masters in Occ Psych! I would definitely recommend doing the Level 7, in particular doing it part time whilst you continue to work as a HR Advisor. Last year I graduated with a Postgrad Diploma in HRM, with CIPD Level 7 accreditation, which I completed after studying part time and working full time as a HR Advisor. Yes it is hard work and challenging, but so worth it. I have no doubts you'll sail through it given your years of HR experience so far - and the main thing is that if you study it while you're working in industry you'll definitely understand the theory a lot better! I'm not a HR Manager and there were so many people on my course who were assistants, admins and advisors (as well as business partners and managers) so don't let that put you off either! If you feel like you need extra support, definitely utilise the lecturers! The support is always there, it's just up to you to use it as often as you need it, they will be keen for you to succeed too! Hope this helps

Priya
  • In reply to Priya Gandhi:

I teach Employment Law at level 7 and have had dyslexic students complete it without undue difficulty and marking/teaching does make allowances.
    I am not convinced by the argument that you need to be at a senior strategic level
    What makes a difference for me is the willingness to work and to think differently.
  • All suppliers will have support for disabled students. I recently completed my MA in HRM and can only praise my college. Make sure you have your dyslexic assessment handy and talk to them about what adjustments can be made that can assist you i.e. coloured overlays, recording the lecture, early preview of any material, using a computer to hand in assignments and complete exams. Use your own coping mechanisms that you might have learnt over the years. Good luck.