Totally changing careers into HR. How can I do it?

HI All

I currently work as a town planner within a property and planning consultancy in the UK. I've been working in the field for about a year now, however, just don't feel the career is right for me.

At University I studied a BA(Hons) in Drama, which I achieved a First Class Honours. After leaving Uni, I spent a few months without a clue what to do, however, the strategic element of town planning had been something my Father enjoyed and so I think that inspired me to do an MSc in the subject. A year on and I now I feel maybe my urgency to find a job after uni sent me in the wrong direction.

Now I would love to explore a career in HR. No matter where I have worked, I have always been fascinated by how to improve a company and have always enjoyed researching and understanding a companies culture when looking for jobs. Furthermore, I have great emotional intelligence and am great at applying it to solve practical problems.

My role as a planner potentially involves many transferable skills such as completing administrative tasks, such as project management, scheduling meetings, meeting deadlines and liaising with different stakeholders (both client and internal) to complete a project.

My question is, what routes do you feel are available for me to explore a change in a career to HR. I feel it would be best for me to possibly explore an (paid) internship, using my transferable skills to become more aware of the job, however, worry that this may be not possible. What are your thoughts?

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

18 Apr, 2018 07:46

Thanks for posting, Joe... and welcome to the Community.

An over-zealous 'filter' put your post into the moderation queue, where it got buried in a sea of spam. I usually spot these very quickly, but not yours. Posting this will 'bump' it back up again :)