Career change dilemma - please help!

Hi everyone

I am currently in the dilemma of whether to continue with the hope of a career change into HR, and also whether to start a CIPD course, as I will have to self-fund.

I have a business studies degree, a masters (unrelated to HR or business) and around 10 years experience in marketing and administration. In my current role of marketing / admin, I have taken on a number of HR tasks including vetting CVs, advertising vacancies, managing employee reviews, induction, and updating policies, to name a few. My employer knows I am keen on HR, and have said they are happy for me to work towards a HR role here but it means waiting 5 years for someone to retire (which is a long time in my opinion to wait around). My employer is not willing to fund a CIPD course for me as the HR Director here doesn’t have any qualifications so they don’t see the point, (they say experience counts for more, which is true in a sense) and it’s a lot of money for me to fund myself at around £6k.

I feel in a dead end, as I really want to work in HR as I enjoy it and I think I’d be really good at it. I feel that time is not on my side as I am not young anymore, progression is limited for me here and the lack of support of structured studying from my employer is quite disheartening. 

I have a friend who is a top level HR director at an extremely well known firm who suggested I go straight into the full CIPD Level 7 – as I have a degree and am naturally very studious and clever (sorry if that sounds self-aggrandising). However, course providers I spoke to recommended Level 3 or 5 – but I cannot afford to do all those levels myself and fund them, so my other dilemma is which Level to study, if any?

I’m looking for jobs at the moment as I’m not feeling very happy where I am - I have applied for a number of HR entry level positions, without any luck (it may be my lack of much HR experience or CIPD qualification – or both). A recruitment agency I normally deal with said it’s best to stick to the experience I have (marketing etc) rather than HR, as without a CIPD qualification these days I would have little luck. I have very good marketing experience and occasionally get calls from recruitment agencies about roles, but don’t feel it is something I want to pursue anymore.

I have no idea whether to give it up and a) continue where I am in the hope I will years down the line become a HR manager B) give it up and look at marketing jobs, c) apply for HR jobs anyway based on my experience, or d) choose a CIPD course and fund it myself. And if it’s the latter, which Level to do!? Level 5 sounds good, as reading the modules, Level 3 seems very basic. Or do I take the plunge and study Level 7 even though it is quite high level strategic content? I understand HR is a hard market to break into as well so I don’t want to waste my money on something that won’t fruition into a job.

Sorry for the long post...

Any advice would be much appreciated - I am going around in circles very confused!

• Hi - my initial reaction to your dilemma is that a first step could be to identify a professional career coach who could help by facilitating and enabling your decision making. If you are interested I can put you in touch with a career coach I have used to support employees at a career cross roads.
  • Personally I wouldn't jump into a level 7 course. I don't have any doubt that academically (if you have a masters) that you could cope with the course but (a) you wouldn't get the full benefit and wouldn't have the examples to use for learning and (b) (more importantly) you are likely to be no further forward in your career search afterwards as many people will see you as over qualified with both a Masters and a Level 7....you will find more doors closed than opens IMO.

Personally I wouldn't go for a career coach either (but that's just a personal view)

Can understand your current firm not funding it as they don't have a need now.

Best bet might be to try and persuade them to accelerate your HR skills with projects or shadowing etc.

If not and if you have a real passion for HR then I would be applying for lots of jobs in the hope I got one. It will be a slog but people get there.
  • Hi,

I agree completely with what Keith has written.

I recently recruited an HR administrator into my team - and I have chosen to take a chance on someone new to the profession, currently self-funding her Level 3, but who brings a wealth of customer service and administrative/analysis skill to the role. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that there are heads of HR out there willing to take a chance on someone without a standard HR background who bring other skills and qualities.

During this process I received in excess of 90 applications - many with Level 5 qualifications, and some Level 7. Being realistic, the role on my team - and most other - entry level HR jobs only justify a level 3 and I would strongly warn against over-qualifying yourself in what is already a very competitive market.

The practical application of the skills you learn at Level 3 may complement what you are already doing in your current role. If you can continue with this and gain the qualification through self-study, you would be in a stronger position to move somewhere else. Perhaps you could engineer a slight job title change that would be more reflective of the work you are doing and position you slightly better in the job market?

Another option may be to use your marketing skills and explore internal comms roles, which could give you another in-road into an HR team at another organisation.

Don't give up, and I hope you find what you are looking for soon.
  • In reply to Kevin Elvidge:

Thank you for the suggestion Kevin - I will have a think to see if I need a career coach, it may be an idea.
  • In reply to Keith:

Thank you for the advice, you have confirmed what I thought that Level 7 might be too high a level for my current stage, even I could cope with the course content. I will certainly take your advice of seeing if I can get involved in more HR projects where I am - although it is a little limited - as there a lot of HR aspects (payroll, contracts etc) which are controlled by the Finance team. I really appreciate all the advice, and especially about not over-qualifying myself!

• In reply to Nicola Coull:

Hi Nicola. Thank you for the advice. It is very reassuring to know you offered a position to someone based on their other merits and not just HR experience, it certainly gives me a bit more hope! I will have a serious look into Level 3, if this is all that is recommended and needed to get the chance of a better foot in the door, especially as I will be self-funding. Good tip re internal communications - I didn't realise there were specific roles for this.
  • Thank you all for taking the time to read my problem and offer advice. I do feel a bit more focused with what I want to do. My heart says I would much prefer a HR role than the 'official' marketing route I seem to be going down. The real test for me was the thought if I got offered two jobs, equal in salary, distance, perks, company size etc, one in marketing and one in HR - which would I pick. I would be quite certain I would prefer the HR role!