UIN research project data needed please!

Hi

I’m currently completing the ‘Using Information in HR’ module in my Level 5 certificate. I need to synthesise some data for a research project I’m conducting.

I would really appreciate it if you could help me out by completing a quick 5 minute survey (link below)

When completing it please take on the (imagined) role of a teacher at a college recently awarded a grade 3 (requires improvement) from Ofsted. A major concern is the high level of employee turnover, possibly due to poor employee engagement.

Thanks in advance!

• Hi Jo

I'm a bit confused. Surely you won't be able to draw any conclusions from the data as it won't reflect real life? If you need to synthesise date (i.e. make it up) couldnt you do that yourself without third party input? That's what I've done when I've needed to create test data for testing a new HR database.

Kind regards

Jackie
  • Hi Jo, Welcome to the "Communities".

I'm sorry to give you something of a cautious reply to your first posting, but I am not quite comfortable with this proposal.

It seems to me that you are collecting hypothetical data, from hypothetical teachers (albeit that some of us might be), on which to base a submission showing how you can collect and use (real) information, as a step toward gaining an (equally real) qualification.

The problem being that any supposition you make from this hypothetical experience of collecting, and subsequently utilising, research will be as invalid as would be our trying to apply our (absent) understanding to a "real" school's problems.

While your methodologies might thus be good, or bad, neither will be demonstrated by this hypothetical testing.

Might it not be better to, perhaps, investigate how other researchers into this subject have used the materials they have gathered, and examine alternatives they might have used, focussing more strongly on the HR aspects than they may have done?

For example (and without doing the work for you) :-) It is clear that many head-teachers are currently very unhappy with aspects of their roles that now bury their leadership, mentoring and teaching-participation tasks in administration, demotivating them and (via them) their teams. How might the statistics gathered (which are already a matter of public record) have been responded to in different ways, to motivate and engage instead? E.g. you offering an "HR" answer to a question already asked and answered differently (and badly), in order to demonstrate your understanding both of the processes used, and how that same information could have been used to better (HR-friendly) effect?

P

• Hi Jo

I've just clicked through to your survey and it seems you want respondents to assume a fictitious persona and comment on their fictitious work experience. If the purpose of the exercise is to demonstrate that you can analyse data, then as Jackie suggests, can't you make it up yourself?
  • Hi

Thank you for your responses and advice.

Unfortunately I don’t think I provided enough information in my original post to establish understanding behind the need for my survey.

My assessment brief requires me to undertake a research project in my own organisation. However as I’m currently not in work I don’t have a suitable real life environment to conduct the project in. There is an alternative approach provided for students in a similar situation: the imaginary college scenario described in my survey. Its not a main concern that I won’t be able to draw real-life conclusions as it’s focused on my ability to conduct research, analyse my findings, make evidence based recommendations etc.

Also as for the data collection method, I was advised by my course facilitator not to create my own data as it can result in quite contrived data.

I appreciate your advice so far and will take it on board.

Thanks again.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

24 Oct, 2018 08:33

In reply to Jo:

Welcome to the Community, Jo.

It's focused on my ability to conduct research, analyse my findings, make evidence based recommendations etc."

I see the challenge and where you are 'coming from' with this... but equally it's a big ask for community members to spend their valuable time taking on an 'imaginary' persona.

• Hi Jo,

I did this module recently - we all used research completed by other people such as academic journals and research or research by charities, IES or CIPD. We made up a situation based on what we were interested in and wanted to research. None of us carried out our own research based on our own workplace.

This might be a better approach as the information you get will be more beneficial and realistic?
  • In reply to Lizzie:

HI Lizzie

I am currently having to do a retake on this unit as i failed it by 1 mark. I have completed and passed all the other units. If you have any information or advice on this unit it would be very much appreciated?

Many thanks

Cassie
  • In reply to Cassie Poulter:

Hi Cassie,

What was the feedback you got in regards to why it didn't pass? If you want to send me a message with a bit more info, I can try to suggest something! I think the main feedback our class got was to ensure we were assessing the sources we used ie what sort of research it was, the methods they used and how reliable it was as well as comparing the actual findings.
  • In reply to Lizzie:

Hi Lizzie

Thank you for your response, i think i have sent you a message.. although i am new here and not sure what i need to do.

Thanks

Cassie