Work Experience

Hello, as a recent graduate I am now applying for generalist HR roles. However the most frequent form of feedback I am having from companies both before and after interviews is that I lack industry experience. I am therefore hoping to gain some HR work experience either unpaid or paid.

Does anyone know of a good website that lists work experience opportunities in the HR sector? 

Likewise, does anyone know of an HR work experience programme run by their own company?

As this is potentially unpaid I would be looking for around a 2-3 weeks in an HR environment. 

Many Thanks, 

Laura

• Hi Laura

It would probably be good to give some indication of where you are based, and where you are willing to travel to, as well as what your degree is in, and if you have any CIPD qualifications. Then people may find it easier to provide assistance.

Good luck!
  • Hi Laura, welcome to the communities. I wish you lots of good luck in your searching, this seems to be a common issue - no experience, no job, no job, no experience. I started a thread a while back with details of some volunteering websites which include HR roles, bit of a long shot but worth a try. Link is:
    www2.cipd.co.uk/.../58265
    You may also like to do a quick search for other historic threads on volunteering opportunities or other resources to help with that first step into HR, plus posting your question onto the discussion/community forums for Personnel Today and HR Zone might reach other HR professionals. If you do find something particularly useful please do come back and let us know, it may help others as well.
  • In reply to Sam:

Hi Sam,

Thanks so much for that extra post advice. I will attempt to edit or add a comment now.
  • In reply to Clare Marie:

Hi Clare,
    Thanks so much I will look over this now. I will keep in touch with any information on this front.
  • In reply to Laura:

Not a problem - if we know where you are, somebody might be able to give you a heads up of a local opportunity :)
  • As one helpful comment suggested it would be useful to say I am based in London and am looking for opportunities within commuting distance. I have spent the past year studying MSc. Human Resource Management and Organisational Analysis at Kings College London. Alongside this I have taken part in workshops and am writing a management report for my Assoc. CIPD.
    My undergraduate degree is in Criminology and Social Policy from Cardiff. I have experience in retail management and office administration.

There is another useful comment below linking this to other feeds, others in my position may find it constructive to view these other feeds.