Do I go onto my L5 or have a break?

Hi there,

I have just finished my last assignment of my level 3 diploma thank god!! Working full time, studying and taking care of a child has been a lot tougher than I thought! 

I am currently working as a HR Co-ordinator and I have done for the past year and a half - my role is varied recruitment, inductions, quite admin based, within the next year I am hoping to move up to the 'next step'. Although I do find I have gained more experience learning on the job than studying.

I just can't decide whether to have a break from studying for a while, is L5 Diploma necessary for a HR Advisor/Assistant role? Also, how long does a L5 Diploma studying part time roughly take to complete? It's taken me exactly a year to complete my L3.

Thanks in advance,

Caitlin :)

• Hi Caitlin

I would be guided by your long term aspirations, target sector and ideal role and then review vacancies, JD &PS for such roles, within your chosen target to see what is required. I often do this to review skills gaps and use this method to determine my next course to ensure my knowledge and learning is relevant and will serve a specific purpose.

Roles are often advertised stating 'CIPD level XX, or equivalent experience' which is interesting as 'relevant experience' is not a measurable in the true sense. But again, I would undertake some field research. I target the NHS for example, and there it is not unusual for senior HR professionals to not have their CIPD Level 7, but will have 20 years+ experience. Given the conditions that are sector specific, often experience in the NHS, or a unionised/ partnership working environment could be weighted more than even an MA SHRM. As, much of the interpretation of law, and the application of HR is very much tailored to your own working environment or sector.

Dependent on your target sector, graduate apprenticeship schemes are also another option that may be something that you could consider, which may offer the best of both worlds as well as sponsorship.

If you do take a break, I would say, keep an eye on the labour market and the changing requirements so that you can jump back onboard and are not left behind, should things change. Congratulations on achieving your L3. Good luck with your fact finding and your decision. You'll have to come back and update us all. Carolina
  • I went straight into L5 from completing L3. However, I am fortunate that my employer is paying for my qualification and I get a day release from work to study. The qualification is through an online provider, so I can also study & work on my assignment around my other work/personal commitments. I am in a HR role at the moment but for me this course is giving me the background knowledge and confidence to a certain extent that goes alongside professional experience. I think it needs to be whatever works for you in your current circumstances.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

13 Jun, 2018 11:20

In reply to Christelle:

"I am fortunate that my employer is paying for my qualification"

Yes, that helps.

Who pays for your CIPD costs?

...although you should be aware of any 'clawback' clause, which often surfaces in discussions here.

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

13 Jun, 2018 11:29

In reply to Carolina Beckinsale:

Great to see so many first-time contributors. You are all very welcome :)
  • Hi Caitlin
    I am just trying to write my first assignment for the L5 and its not easy by any means. I am struggling with full time work and doing this in my spare time and it takes up every spare minute. Only you will know if you need a break but I had 3 years in between and find being disciplined to study really challenging. Good luck in whatever you decide - its totally within your capability if you want it.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

my employer as part of an Apprenticeship although you can forget about being allowed 20% of your working time being freed up.