Level 5 or Level 7 with no degree

Hello,

I appreciate his question has already been posted but coming from a slightly different angle - no degree!

I'm currently in a HR role in an organisation of 120 people. My job title is Global Human Resources Manager and apart from one other HR source in our US team I deal with all HR matters for the business and have done for the past three years +

I studied the Level 3 HRM diploma about three years ago and prior to this I did not study any kind of degree.

I am now struggling to choose between studying Level 5 HRM diploma or the Level 7. I have had very mixed advise with a few telling me that Level 5 is just putting into practice what I already do and I would be better off jumping straight to Level 7 and then more recently being told that as I haven't got a degree I would struggle with the style of writing, dissertations and exams that the Level 7 require. This person also suggested I maybe do a Level 5 certificate (as opposed to the diploma) and then move onto the Level 7 to save time.

I want to progress to HR Director as quickly as possible but not at my own detriment.

Any advise would be very helpful as driving myself mad choosing between the two!

Thanks

• Hi Jade,

I too don't have a degree and started with level 5. I was originally put on the level 3 course, because I don't have a degree, but after 1 week on the course, the tutor moved me to level 5. From my personal experience, there was a big difference between 3 and 5 and I definitely couldn't have gone straight to 7. My advice to you would be to do level 5, its a great springboard for the level 7.

Hope that helps, and good luck with whichever route you take.

Jenny
  • Hi - the qualification was slightly different when i did my CIPD, but i don't have a degree and had no problem with the dissertations and exams for the full post grad level (which i understand is equivalent to the level 7 currently). I've since done a post grad in employment law and a Fellow, so given your experience, i would go for the level 7

Good luck!
  • Hi Jade, I also don't have a degree. I did the post grad purely because where I studied didn't do the masters. Once I got the post grad I then found somewhere that allowed me to do the top up to a masters, which only took 18 months. I didn't find it easy but stuck at it as knew it was beneficial for my career. Hope that helps. Tracey.
  • Hi
    I didn't have a degree and hadn't even studied for A levels at school. I was interested in HR therefore decided to do the CIPD Level 3 course, I found it quite easy even though I hadn't done any studying for over 10 years. I then decided to do the Level 5 course about 2 years later and found that much more challenging. I actually did the Diploma due to funding, it was a lot more work than I had imagined as it was based on an apprenticeship, due to the fact that I am not working in an HR department the practical tasks were difficult to complete and due to the fact that I didn't have a degree I did struggle at first with the essays and style of writing but I got there in the end. (I am undertaking some administrative HR tasks at work). I personally wouldn't have been able to study for Level 7 without first doing Level 5 however as you are already a global HR manager I think you would probably be fine. If you do decide to do Level 5 I wouldn't opt for the Diploma. I was in class where only two of us were doing the Diploma, it took us 2 years to complete and we had to do at least 6 or 7 more academic assignments than the rest of the class plus the apprenticeship work (5 extra assignments), the rest of the class only took 1 year and at the end of the day we all have a Level 5 qualification.
  • Hi Jade, I’m in a similar position - just wondered if you decided to go for the Level 5 or 7 ? And if you did how it was going ? Thanks - Dawn
  • Hi Jade
    I did a degree and am currently studying for my Level 7; I am finding it difficult more in terms of the time it takes after a long day at work etc.

I have so far written three 1,500 word essays, completed a group business proposal and lead a presentation. I think you would be comfortable with these if you have the time and the motivation. Many Universities offer tips on writing essays and dissertations and with your experience, I am sure you'd smash it!

Best of luck
  • In reply to Dawn Cole:

Hi Dawn,

I went with the level 7 in the end! However I only recently signed up and had my first tutor intro this morning. After a lot of research and talking to someone that just completed the level 7 who was in a similar situation to me, my course provider and now my tutor, I'm pretty confident I made the right decision.

Looking at some of the books I have brought I don’t think I will struggle with understanding the content (hopefully!) more finding the time to study with two small children and a full time job. You only live once though!

My advice would be to speak with as many people as possible before you make your descision. Good luck and check back in with me in a few weeks if you like.

Jade
  • In reply to Jade Kinsella:

I had not hesitation recommending a client to level 7 some years ago and wrote to the College to that effect. She was their star pupil and is now even more senior.
  • I also wasn't sure when I first started looking at qualifications a year and a half ago, but for different reasons. I have completed Level 3, Level 4 and have an unrelated degree so initially I was advised that it would be best to pursue level 7. However once I started it I found it too much of a challenge. Even though I have been in HR 14 years, I was struggling to demonstrate the experience required at that level as was studying mixed mode where I needed to evidence workplace knowledge (rather than compared to a more 'academic' course)
    However I have recently successfully completed the Level 5 and found it enough of a challenge to develop my knowledge etc but not set me up for failure either!
    So each individual can be different and your knowledge and experience may be different to having a degree behind you.
  • In reply to Jade Kinsella:

Hi Jade,

Congratulation for enrolling for Level 7 !!!

Finally you have decided what is good for you. Now, with your expertise, could you please help me in deciding over jumping on the either side of the fence. I have been sitting on it for a month now and struggling which level is good for me. Last night , I was about to enroll for level 5 but stopped myself.

I have total 9 years of experience in HR , out of which 6 years in Human Resource Development (read Training & Development). Prior to joining my organization, I did MBA (specialization in HR) in 2009.

Now, I request all of you who are reading this post to help me in deciding which side of the fence should I jump ? Level 5 or Level 7 ?

Supriya
  • Hi Jade. I had a completely unrelated (arts) degree and did Level 7 as an HR Advisor, to help me progress to HR Manager at my company, I didn't do Level 3 or 5. My experience was that you find a lot of people on your course who have no experience at all and are coming straight from University into the course as a masters - which comes with its own challenges!

The L7 for me was quite strategic at times, it looked at social issues and the impact of the global market (differences between countries in terms of skills, labour markets) quite extensively but might fit in nicely with your role.

My only advice would be to quickly get the help of the library, read other people's work for structure, get used to referencing etc. if it isn't something you're used to. Once you have the hang of it, you'll be golden! It was new to me with a degree being a business degree anyway and at a different university - so everyone is in at the deep end.

My advice would be to go for it - if you're passionate about progression, take the next step.
  • Hi Jade,

I chose to study the L&D level 5 DIPLOMA, thinking that this would contain training information and skills that would validate my training, course design and presentation skills gained through many years of experience. Boy was i wrong!! I dont work in a HR environment; never have. This course assumes that participants:
    a) are currently employed - i'm not!, and
    b) have knowledge and understanding of HR and business skills - which i dont.

It's been an uphill struggle from the outset, requiring a LOT of extra study to gain the understanding required in order to complete the assignments.
    I have stuck with it because i believe somewhere down the line completing this course will (hopefully) do me good. Through pain, there will be gain. But OMG!

My advice is really have a very good chat with student services, or whoever is signing you up. Make sure they understand your employment background, and your concerns. Ask if there is an option to change course, if after a few weeks you dont feel you are on the right one for you. Then, look carefully at all your forecast work and home life commitments, because either of the courses WILL eat up a lot of your free time.

Good luck.