Is Level 5 the right thing for me?

Hi All

I completed the Level 3 Certificate in HRP a couple of years ago through DPG, and I've had a good offer in from them to do Level 5 starting this autumn.

I'm working part time as an HR Manager (14 years experience in stand alone roles), but the company I work for has halved in size in terms of staff numbers in the last year or two and I'm really struggling for work to do.  I've spent a lot of time on the Community and going through ACAS/CIPD factsheets etc, all of which has helped improve my knowledge but I feel that I'm not actually DOING enough if that makes sense?

A lot of the HR jobs in my area are either fixed terms contracts, or are too high or low level, but I'm getting worried if the plug gets pulled on my current role I might struggle to find something else.

With that in mind, do you think that going through the Level 5 would be a good idea?  It's a major commitment financially as I'd be paying for it myself, and I'm just not sure it's the right thing to do.

I'd appreciate any advice you can provide.

Many thanks

Ishbel

• Getting fully qualified (if L5 is) alongside your experience would I think be a good thing in a very competitive labour market.

You could see the time you have available as a positive ( use some for study)

It won't get you the next job but it might make a difference to getting you on a few short lists.
  • In reply to Keith:

Thanks Keith, that's kind of what I was thinking but I wanted a bit of feedback from other HR folk.

With hindsight I should perhaps have done Level 5 first time round, but it was a bigger financial commitment when I was being made redundant and had no idea whether I was going to end up in a full or part time job with 2 smallish children to look after. I also had been away from studying for longer than I care to think about!

Ishbel
  • In reply to Ishbel:

Hi Ishbel

I'd have a chat with a couple of course providers first, and see if they think you could go straight to L7

Let us know how you get on

Emily
  • In reply to Emily:

Hi Emily

I've thought about it, but I feel that I don't want to do the Level 7 at this stage, and I'm not sure that I ever will.

I don't have enough strategic experience or exposure and that's not really where I see my career going even in the long term.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Ishbel
  • Hi Ishbel - I'm currently doing Level 5 HR Management and I totally recommend it. As long as you're committed to a career in HR - you're right, it's a big commitment in terms of time and money. I've been an HR Manager for five years and was jogging along nicely but I'm four months in to my course and learned so much across a wide range of topics. If you reach a point where you want/need to look for a new job 'Assoc CIPD' is going to look great next to your name on your CV. Good luck!
  • In reply to Sue Eakin:

Hi Susan

Thanks very much for your reply.

When I was made redundant 2 years ago (after 19 years with the same company) and was searching the job market I realised that most of the HR jobs out there were looking for CIPD qualified people, but they didn't necessarily state to what level (which is a bit like saying you'd be happy for someone with GCSE Accounts to be your Finance Director!!).

At the time with all the factors I've already mentioned in play, I decided that the Level 3 would allow me to tick that box and use Assoc CIPD after my name on LinkedIn and on my CV, and I hoped that the fact I was self funding would demonstrate a commitment to my personal development.

As it turned out, I got my present job the week the course started, and although I don't regret doing the Level 3, the thought of shelling out for Level 5 too is a bit daunting.

I'm hoping that my current employer might be able to help me out a bit with the cost, and the prospect of doing the Level 5 course has given me back a bit of enthusiasm which has been in short supply while things have been so quiet in my job.

Good luck with your course, hope it all goes well for you.

Ishbel
  • In reply to Ishbel:

If you are already working in HR then I don't think getting the level 5 qualification will be greatly enhance your employability. From personal experience, it's what you have and are doing in HR that really matters. I was struggling to find work so in desperation signed up to do a level 5 and soon after found work for which my experience was what got me the job. So I'm now stuck paying for a qualification which I don't need and which doesn't help much in my day to day work.
  • In reply to Ishbel:

Thanks for all your replies, I've decided to go for it and I've signed up to do the Level 5.

Ishbel