Level 5 to a top up degree

Hi I am due to complete level 5 hrm next week and I have jumped straight to a level 5 without prior learning completing it in 1 year. I've completed it with no trouble at all and no referrals. I'd ideally like to top it up to a full degree to open more doors for myself. Ideally I would be aiming to do an MBA or Level 7 HRM.

My question is that I would need to do a distance learning course to work around my full time role managing the hr function for an SME. I have found online at Arden University. It's a Batchelors degree in business (hrm) Which would take me 1-2 years to complete and at the end I will have a degree to help me access further learning. However it is not accredited. Does this matter since my level 5 is fully accredited by the CIPD?

Thanks

Leanne

• Hi Leanne - I think you need to be clear about your reasons for obtaining a degree level qualification. If you are looking to progress in HR then a course without CIPD accreditation might not be worth the time and money it will cost. A level 7 qualification might be a better investment.
    But if you are wanting a degree level qualification to give you options in careers looking for graduates then obtaining the degree from Arden might be the way forward.
    In my experience the qualification is less important than the work experience you have - some jobs may set a minimum qualification as a way of filtering out applicants.
  • In reply to Ashley:

Hi Ashley,
    Thanks for replying. I am enjoying learning for the sake of learning, as mentioned my level 5 is accredited, is that not enough?
    My employer kindly offered to put me through the level 5 but said if I didn't want to do it then I wouldn't need too of course I jumped at the chance. It's been an amazing unforgettable journey.
    Fortunately I am the HR function in the company I work for, although just a HR Officer there is scope for me to build my own team around me where I currently am in the future. I have been working in HR for 4 and a half years, currently just over a year and a half where I am now. I would however like to broaden my knowledge and gain enough understanding of the business to open doors for myself.
  • In reply to Leanne:

Hi Leanne

Have you considered looking at doing a direct entry MSc in HRM that includes a Level 7 CIPD qual?
  • In reply to Leanne:

If your current Level 5 qualification gives you full membership of the CIPD then I would choose the degree course solely on its merits and not being accredited by the CIPD wont be relevant.

It appears that a Masters in HRM is the new "must" have qualification for many on top of membership of the CIPD and experience so working towards that long terms may be wise.
  • In reply to Sam:

Hi Sam, I do not hold a degree level qualification if i am to do an MSc then I need a degree.
  • In reply to Leanne:

Hi Leanne, that's no actually the case for a lot of universities that offer MScs in HRM - they'll except experience over qualifications where required.
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi Keith,
    Yes my current level 5 qualification does give me full membership to the CIPD. Thank you. The course itself seems interesting, I am not ruling out doing a Masters in HRM but I would like to the opportunity to better myself and not limit myself.
    I think experience counts for a lot in HR and I do not intend on leaving my current employer, I am fully exposed to the world of HR in my current role and that I believe along with a qualification (level 5 or 7) is very important. Whilst I am gaining day to day experience and knowledge I feel that moving up the academic ladder will give me more credibility with my employers. I think it's also about proving I am able to do it myself as well. I have a strong sense of pride in my work and my academic ability but just want to make sure I am doing the right thing.
  • In reply to Sam:

I have contacted several universities and they have stated that I do not meet the requirements. Even the OU said they cannot offer me a place without a degree.
  • In reply to Leanne:

I don't know where you're based, but there's UWE in Bristol that will potentially except you.
  • In reply to Sam:

It would need to be distance, I am Northamptonshire/Warwickshire way.
  • In reply to Leanne:

Hi Leanne, did you find out the answer to this please? I have similar experience and currently completing level 5, looking into future options.