Study Level 5 HRM - Yes/No?

Hi

I'm in need of some advice from fellow HR peeps.  I went self employed for a year to do something totally different away from HR, however, I missed the interaction with people and supporting people and now deciding to return to the world of HR on a part-time or contract basis.

I already have Level 3 which I gained in 2012 and since then I worked as an Advisor for 4 years before being made redundant, took another role "field based" for one year, unfortunately I had to leave due to medical reasons which all happened suddenly, took 6 months off, had a couple of part-time roles which weren't the best of career moves.

Do you think studying Level 5 is the right thing to do, to show employers how determined I am to return back into HR, whilst also getting up-to-date on current legislation/law?

Just worried with the breaks on my CV, Level 5 won't make any difference.  Big decision as its an expensive option?

Any advice - good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks

• All rather depends on the level of jobs you are looking for. Its likely that for entry level jobs your experience combined with L3 will be enough. But for mid level jobs especially given your gaps/wrong turns then it may help get you a few more interviews than you would otherwise. But either way I think it may be a bit of a struggle so good luck.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

26 Sep, 2017 10:35

Personally, I think the L5 is the logical next step, Sue Davies.
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi Keith
    I was looking at Advisor level, however, I'm interested as to why do you think it would be struggle?
  • In reply to Sue Davies:

Because the market is awash with great candidates (and some not so great) who have experience and often high level qualifications meaning many employers can be very choosey. It doesn't mean it will be impossible but it does make it hard for people who have an A-typical career path or whose career narrative is a bit disjointed. Its about finding an employer willing to take a risk (as they see it) on someone with this profile rather than a more conventional candidate.

Its doable but you will need to e lucky or work hard! Good luck
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

26 Sep, 2017 13:36

In reply to Keith:

Keith... hmm... while you 100% can base what you're saying on many years of HRD experience, I'm slightly surprised (in this instance) as I (personally) didn't consider Sue's career so far 'disjointed' or particularly unconventional - at least on the evidence we have before us. By all means it is important to be realistic and to set expectations, etc... but I dunno... maybe I'm a bit sensitive today.

Also... we all know good luck and hard work are 'givens'.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Took a year out of HR to try something else (and assume not liking it so returning to HR)

Number of Part Time jobs that didn't work meaning CV is likely large number of employers in a short time.

Employers are notoriously risk adverse (and HR recruiting for itself maybe most of all)
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Steve, on this one I'm afraid my advice is in keeping with Keith's - particularly if you're looking for a part-time role Sue.
    I have forged a strong relationship with the Oakleaf part-time desk (other employment agencies are available) and learn from them that the demand for part-time work far outstrips the supply of roles. They have a large number of highly qualified candidates on their books and cannot place them.
    As Keith says, Sue, with or without the L5 you may struggle. In my view your best bet if you want to get back into HR is to connect with your local CIPD branch and see if you can find someone willing to work a job-share with you - but you'll still need to sell it to agencies/employers.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

26 Sep, 2017 15:18

In reply to Keith:

"Employers are notoriously risk adverse (and HR recruiting for itself maybe most of all)"

Quite.

Human Resources.

• In reply to Sue Davies:

Hi Sue, I am just finishing Level 5; I am already an Advisor - with only a couple of experience in HR, only. I have found the course strong on strategic issues and theory, but weak on practical, and not game-changing for my job/career. My advice is to find an HR job with an employer who will actively support your study and aspiration.