L7: How does Govt education policy affect HR and L&D practice?

Hello!

I really hope someone can help. I need to answer the following question for my Level 7 qualification and I really don't know where to begin: In what ways and to what extent does government policy in the field of education affect HR and L&D practice in organisations?

I need to illustrate my answer with three current examples and I am really struggling. I literally have nothing.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Emily

• Something around current curriculums building employees of the future, or the new T Levels, or apprenticeships, or whether young people stay in education or move to work…?
  • The focus of the curriculum - it has shifted to a knowledge based curriculum as opposed to equipping children and young people with the SKILLS needed to operate in the workplace of the future. Generally, schools do not teach the independent thinking to be resilient, be problem solvers, team players etc etc. You could also reference the supply chain of nursing for example, the decision to remove bursaries at Uni level has created a downturn in the number of entrants to the profession.
  • In reply to Joanne Garnham:

Hi Emily

If you google 'uk vocational education system' lots of potentially-relevant material will come up.

Compared with European neighbours (notably eg Germany) the UK generally and UK Governments in particular IMHO have a most abysmal record in promoting vocational education: it's a cultural thing, not fully apparent to many within the UK unless they experience how very differently it's done elsewhere.
  • Hi Emily

I'm doing the same course - and the same questions. Found some useful information on the following CIPD page - also look at the further reading to get some ideas.
    www.cipd.co.uk/.../factsheet

Good Luck
    Kelly
  • In reply to Kelly:

Had a quick look at the CIPD link, which seems focused on activity within individual organisations as opposed to implementing national Government vocational education and training policy. Possibly wider internationally in scope than the question but OECD publishes lots on the topic, including if you drill into it individual country reviews:

www.oecd.org/.../vet.htm
  • In reply to Joanne Garnham:

I'd take slight issue with the comment that the curriculum now focuses on knowledge rather than skills; the current Ofsted framework does have a greater focus on preparing young people for the future, and curriculum intent is an integral part of that. I'm a school governor for a secondary / 6th form and our aim is to ensure that every young person leaves equipped not just for the next stage of their education journey but also for work/future career and we specifically take an approach of reflecting how things work in the business world, precisely in terms of the skills you have noted. Granted a lot of schools don't do it but we found that when we were inspected under the latest Ofsted framework our approach stood us in good stead, whereas are approach was not as well reflected in the previous framework, so although our students were leaving with some great destinations, that wasn't looked at as part of the rating. What is encouraging is that whereas in the past the only progression route which schools seemed to value was university for their brightest and apprenticeships or a job were deemed the poor relation for everyone else, the situation is really improving; with some high quality degree apprenticeships giving young people who may be 'bright' but not university shaped a real alternative route. T levels are interesting because although the theory is ok, they have been developed without enough employer input so will they really deliver what is intended - the jury is out at the moment! It is also increasingly the case that academic success isn't the be all and end all; there are some really great initiatives and opportunities for young people of all abilities and that for me is what is important; everyone should have a meaningful route they can follow that is no less valid than another. Seeing what I see in my school I am mindful of it when doing my HR day job when looking at opportunities we have. I realise I've strayed slightly off the specific topic but it is something you will gather I'm pretty passionate about and it does sort of relate even if obliquely! Very best of luck to Emily.