CIPD L5 L&D or People Management - for somebody who is already a life coach?

Hi all,

I would love some advice from others who work in HR/People/L&D about a choice I want to make regarding taking either L&D or People Management CIPD L5. 

I am currently a certified life coach helping people find their dream careers with support in resume writing.
I have 18-months experience as a recruitment coordinator supporting full recruitment cycles in tech roles.
I worked abroad for 5 years in international education as a classroom teacher.
I have a masters degree in education.

I'm really interested in working inside a company utilising and developing on these skillsets.
However, I'm not sure if coaching skills would be better suited to people management or learning and development. 

I envision a role where I am coaching team members 1:1 in performance and development, helping companies train their existing employees with new skills and further their progress, developing training programs and creating workshops etc. Also being a consultant for managers/executives. But I do enjoy talent and HR as well, and not sure if coaching could be utilised further in this area.

Any advice which would be better suited - L&D or People Management - and what job title my future vision may be under? I would like an outside perspective please!

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

30 Jan, 2022 16:30

Does anyone feel that can provide some advice and guidance to Emma?
  • Hi Emma - very happy to chat through with you - if that helps let me know.  I come across this question a lot and we can usually work it out on a phone call.  

I generally suggest people have a look at the CIPD Jobs site to explore options and find a couple of ideal roles that appeal and are a good fit for them and then work back from that.  

Three of the units are core topics on both the pathways and the optional units are mostly shared too so there is a lot of crossover.  I would usually work out with you which you feel most strongly connected to, get you started on the core units and then as you progress one pathway should become clearer via your 121 coaching sessions, live webinars and working with others on the course. 

You do need to register for one of them though so make a decision and then your study centre and/or the CIPD will I'm sure be very happy to swap you from one pathway to the other if needs be.   

You can also try the CIPD quiz which is a great little tool :)

Good luck!

Jackie