CIPD Level 7 - Am I eligible?

I would like to undertake CIPD level 7. I have already done level 3, but have no HR working experience. I’m an older student and would like to do level 7 whilst I currently have free time, and then will look for a relevant HR job at a later date. I just wondered if you have to have relevant experience or be currently working in a HR role to do level 7?

• Almost certainly you can find a supplier who will admit you for a few to a L7 course. With a fair wind and sone connections fir assignments you may well pass.

But…. It won’t be a golden ticket to a hr job. And doing a L7 in a role would be a far more valuable learning experience.
  • Welcome to the community
    Level 7 is designed for experienced HR practicioners who are operating at the strategic level. I think you would find it difficult to complete the course without at least some experience operating at the advisor/manager level. That being said that is no barrier to giving it a go and it's your money.
    If you're looking to bag some eyecatching postnominals for your cv, you should consider the changes in the qualifications before you decide. If you did the old level 3 qualification you will be an associate member and you're entitled to the "Assoc. CIPD" postnominals. On successful completion of the new level 7 qualification you are still only entitled to the "Assoc CIPD" designation without the relevant experience. If you completed the new level 3 and are a Foundation member (Foundation CIPD) then a level 5 qualification will upgrade you to Associate level and could arguably be a more suitable qualification for someone looking to gain experience.
    Have a look at the membership page for more information and good luck

www.cipd.co.uk/.../grades

• Thanks for the replies. I did the old level 3 so I have associate status. What I’m looking for is a way to give myself the biggest advantage of getting my foot in the door with my first HR role. I thought a level 7 CIPD qualification would be helpful but it appears perhaps not? Would doing the new level 5 be of any use as it is still associate membership which I already have, or would it be seen as the next step up and much more beneficial than my current level 3? Or does none of this really matter and it will be a case of just interviewing none stop to get my first job?
  • In reply to Parvinder Chahal:

The key for you will be experience. Target all your energies at that. Good luck