Level 5 or Level 7

I'm after some guidance on whether to go for L5 or L7, I've searched the forum, watched youtube blogs on both levels and read reviews but I still can't decide if L7 will be too much for me. 

I am currently working in a HR Business Partner role for an international organisation but have only recently been officially moved into this role, prior I managed all the HR for our London office for the last 3 years (though it's a small office) and my previous career has always had a heavy HR element but never the main part of my role. I also ran my own recruitment business for a couple of years back in 2013. 

From a study time perspective I would rather go straight to L7 and get it done as ultimately I think this is where I want to end up with my career goals in mind and if I was to start with L5 I would only want to do L7 once completed anyway, are there any credits on the new qualifications from L5 that can be used towards L7? This would be an ideal route but from what I am reading it's not possible. 

I am 40 and it's been a long time since I studied properly though I am very driven and have always succeeded when I've put my mind to something and am able to learn quickly and retain information fairly easily, so the commitment and time for an L7 are not an issue but would I really struggle with the course content and being able to complete the assignments with current experience?

For further info on my current role we are a small team that work internationally so we have exposure to all areas, though day to day is very transactional we also all have input and influence into strategy and policy. 

Any help or guidance appreciated or to hear other people's experience if they maybe jumped straight into L7. Thanks. 

• Good morning Michelle,

I completed the Level 5 a couple of years ago at the grand age of 50, having not studied for around 10 years. As the old song goes 'If I could turn back time' I would have gone straight for the Level 7 as I didn't find the level 5 particularly challenging. If you haven't studied much in the past I would suggest Level 5, but if you have confidence in structuring reports and have good reporting skills i would say go for Level 7.

I completed my course through MOL Learn and they were excellent in helping and guiding you through it, their lecturers are very knowledgeable too.

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies.
  • Do you have a HR degree already?

If so, according to the UK government, you already have a level 6 qualification so doing a level 5 CIPD qualification would be a little pointless.
  • If you're already working in a true Business Partner role (that is, providing standalone HR support to managers of a function or functional group) then you're probably best off going straight into L7.

I heartily recommend this forum as a place to ask questions and offer opinions, as well as to read into issues that might arise in the course of your work.
  • Welcome to the community Michelle

What is your current level of membership and do you have any other HR qualifications.

Perhaps experience assessment is a better option than studying. Have a look at how to upgrade www.cipd.co.uk/.../upgrade

You might find it useful to look at the membership standards www.cipd.co.uk/.../membership-standards

Good luck
  • Hello Michelle

Given the role you are already in and the experience you have outlined prior to this, I would suggest level 7. I worked in HR in various roles for 15 years prior to completing my Masters in HRM, which included Level 7 CIPD.

I did not have level 5 and was 39 when I began studying, having not completed such an in depth level of study since I graduated many years before! It had it's challenges and required time management like I'd never employed before, but is something I'm extremely pleased I did and to be able to use your qualifications and learning immediately in role is a real benefit.

I hope this is helpful and good luck with your studies,

Leigh
  • Hi Michelle,

Completely agree with others here. Level 7 is the way to go. There isn't much difference between the two. I considered the same option back in 2012, and was glad I plumped for L7. I was a HR Officer at the time doing basic admin tasks so a much more junior role than HRBP. I hope that helps.
  • Hi Michelle

I get asked this question a lot :)

As well as your work experience, we take into consideration a number of factors:

• Your goals
    • Previous academic experience
    • Time available
    • Study motivation and preferences 

Level 5 is 420 hours and Level 7 is 1200 hours so Level 7 is a much bigger commitment and there is a higher expectation academically.  Depending on your goals Level 5 may be enough for you right now and achieve your objectives.  You can get back into studying gain your Associate CIPD Membership and then continue onto Level 7 later.   

Have a look at the CIPD quiz and see what it says.  

There are usually a number of options we can explore. 

Happy to chat through if it helps.  

Good luck!

Jackie

• Hi, I am nearing the end of my L5 and considering the L7 and don’t know whether to have a break or not. Also I wanted to know if the college were able to hold onto my certificate for the diploma until the apprenticeship is completed?
  • My answer always has and always will be to go for level 7.
    I still see little point in Level 5
  • If you are already doing it or have a good insight, it’s well worth having a look at experience assessment. 8-10 weeks of your time, a structured plan of action provided and a reflection on your contribution to date.

I’m doing L5 at the moment if you’d like further information.
  • Ouch! Having completed it in the past two years, I would say Level 5 has value if you haven’t previously qualified to degree level (I hadn’t), and need to get to grips with studying and working at that kind of level whilst also working full time.
  • In reply to Maya:

Sorry it was not meant personally but I have known plenty people who did Level 7 in similar circumstances. I either sponsored them or taught them.
  • In reply to Maya:

Absolutely Maya - well done on your Level 5 - it's a great qualification - gets you Associate membership of the CIPD and boosts your credibility in your organisation and elsewhere - Level 7 is definitely not right for everyone :)
  • Not at all - just sharing an alternative view ;)
  • I agree with previous comments, I did the L5 HRM first and the L7 HRD last year, I wish I’d gone straight to L7.