HR Career Over Before Starting? Can I Progress If Don’t Have Qualification?

As a bit of context, I’m in a HR Assistant role and signed up for Level 3. I’ve been struggling to study while balancing full time work, though I felt I was making slow and steady progress and the information I was reading was sinking in. Yet when it came to my first assessment, I failed. Feedback from tutor was that I wasn’t providing analytical and academic writing.

I feel like an idiot, though after thinking about things realistically, I’m not an academically minded person. I did a HNC in Business Admin at college but never progressed to university. I can take in the overview of a subject and i think I learn best by doing and repeating, but writing and presenting information in an analyst overall essay style has never been my forte.

I don’t know what to do now really. I feel like I’m stuck and won’t progress because I may not gain the entry level qualification, or any other one for that matter. Part of me feels like I should admit that HR isn’t right for me (I’ve been feeling increasingly anxious at work and overwhelmed anyways) but then I do find the subject matter and queries we get daily so interesting, and I feel like I do a good job at supporting the HR Advisers and staff. I just don’t want to be stuck at this level with no progression indefinitely and waste everyone’s time.

• Welcome to the communities.

There was a recent post about someone failing an exam and if you use the search facility it contains some useful information. You can also take from that you are not alone and people do struggle sometimes to transition to studying.

I would say two things.

1) just because you failed your first module doesn’t mean level 3 isn’t right for you or that with tine and support you can’t succeed. A HNC is a l4 qualification ( I believe) so if you managed that you certainly have the ability to do this HR course.

It may well be just understanding what they want and adapting your style a bit. Learning how to answer rather than any great failing on your part. Ask for more detailed feedback. Have a look at some model answers. See if you can find a study buddy etc.

2) a HR L3/L5/L7 is not a magic ticket to a career in HR and experience counts for a lot. Certainly you will find it more challenging to get interviews and short listed without some qualifications. Also the basic knowledge taught on the courses is as valuable as the certificate. So it’s possible to progress. Without by way of experience but possibly slower and harder.

Good luck.

edit : hopefully this is link to previous discussion. 
    community.cipd.co.uk/.../114556

• Welcome to the Community Jennifer

I don't have any doubt in your ability to achieve this qualification. For a start you didn't fail, you learned. You won't always pass first time, in my experience more than half the students don't pass the first assessment and it's all part of learning how to learn. Don't be afraid of not passing first time, it's just part of the process, we often say "Don't get it right get it wrote". Look forward to the feedback and if you don't understand the feedback ask you tutor to explain.

It sounds to meet that you didn't quite understand the requirements of the assessment. You should receive a learner assessment brief with each module. Look at the assessment criteria checklist and identify the command words, (for example: define, explain, discuss). There are guides to help you understand what you're expected to do in realtion to a command word, here's one example (abma.uk.com/.../A-Guide-to-Command-Words.pdf) but there are a few more for free on the web.

There are also some great study guides out there for free and a few guides to academic writing also. There is also some great tips and advice in the student section of the CIPD website. I would recommend you try to pick up a copy of "The Study Skills Handbook" by Stella Cottrell it has some great advice and you can normally pick up a cheap copy on amazon.

You may find it helpful to study in a group and there are some threads on the forum or start a whattsapp group with your fellow students. But keep going, there are more interesting modules to come, and the qualification is worth it.

Good luck
  • I failed my HR qualifications first time, too. I already had a degree and an HR job, but my examiners were looking for a very particular approach to how the questions were answered that I didn't give them.

I got some feedback from my tutor and adjusted how I approached answers and I pulled off a pass on my second attempt.
  • Hi Jennifer,

Take heart: all is not lost. I think steel yourself and ask for some feedback and see what you can do with it. I remember getting a disappointing mark for my first module and it being very much about using a certain style of writing - it was a relatively straightforward fix and it all improved from there on in.

It also doesn't undermine your ability to do a good job and the experience that you're gaining on the job at the same time. Perhaps it's also worth addressing the anxiety with your manager; they might be able to provide some more reassurance and support. You're right, it can be a very interesting job and there's a really wide scope for where and how you can be successful within it.

Onwards and upwards!
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

16 Feb, 2022 09:34

Welcome, Jennifer. Love the responses you've received so far.
  • As I completed it over 20 years the equivalent of Level 3 is somewhat different to now and I wasnt even working in HR when I started it. Even though I had recently completed a non HR degree back then, I still found it quite a challenge at the time but being class based rather than remote really helped.
    A few years back I started on my Level 5 qualification and even though had a degree and had, worked in HR for 20 years (albeit at mainly Assistant level) it was still a struggle at 1st to get into the 'style' etc of what was required. Even though I failed or partially some of my assignments my Coach/Assessor (and I had mentor support from a colleague) were really helpful with feedback and guidance to get me back on the right track. So although it felt a challenge at 1st, it did get easier as I got more of a feeling of what was required.
    Would also definately recommend the Study skills books as found these really helpful (and were included on my reading list).
    Good luck and don't give up!
  • Hi Jennifer,
    Sorry to hear that you didn't pass your first module. Don't worry you're not alone in this.
    I am currently studying for my lv 5. I failed my first attempt at the first assignment as well. I dramatically failed every marking criteria for that assignment.
    However, to boost my confidence I decided to focus on another unit that I felt more confident in. That really helped. I realised from that unit that there is a particular way of writing for these assignments (basically lots of mini essays within an assignment). After passing that, I then focussed on another unit of interest, after passing that I returned to the first assignment with fresh eyes. That enabled me to make the relevant adjustments to be able to pass it.
    Like you though I am struggling to balance completing this course whilst working a full-time job.
    All the best in it Jennifer, I wish you every success.
  • Hey Jennifer,

I've just finished the Level 5 Diploma course, so please do reach out to me if you need moral support or need help with your assignments. We are here for you!!

Regards,
    Alex.