Peer reviewed

Hi,

I have only just started my learning and doing lots of research for 5CO03

I have come across an article on a site called ResearchGate, i know that this site is not Peer Reviewed, however it does state that some articles are peer reviewed.  How do i know what is Peer Reviewed and that i can use as a reference and what is not.  The article is by Dierdre O'donovan  and is called Inclusion diversity management 2.0  I have found this to be interesting but don't know whether it is peer reviewed.  If something is not peer reviewed and i reference it , is it a fail??? 

Many Thanks

Jeanette

• You can limit your search terms to peer reviewed journals in most online libraries but I'm not familiar with. As a CIPD member you have access to a wealth of articles, research from the Knowlwdge Hub and journals via EBSCO www.cipd.co.uk/.../journals
    As it's a resource provide by the CIPD for a CIPD qualification, anything you cite from there should be fine
  • In reply to Jim:

Hi Jeanette

This appears to be a book and not a journal article - it's an ISBN ref 978-3-319-54923-1 I think and should be referenced in proper format for a book rather than for a journal article.

Re your general query "If something is not peer reviewed and i reference it , is it a fail???" I think not, but you should exercise due diligence in checking out your sources and generally critically discussing the content. As an extreme example, quoting from Wikipedia may result in apoplexy on the part of academics and your work being penalised. However, academic journal articles are generally peer-reviewed and even if they aren't are usually quite okay to cite and to discuss - if you have difficulty checking out peer review status then the marker of your submission (in the possibly-unlikely event that they bother at all) will probably not be sure either. 

• Hi Jeanette

Research Gate is a network for researchers/academics and not a journal. While some researchers may share their work via the site it is only possible to check whether it has been peer reviewed by looking a the article in the relevant journal.

The policy on whether a non-peer reviewed reference is acceptable will be set by your learning provider. For example, I supervise PG HR students at a London University and our requirement is for roughly 80% peer reviewed and the balance being from business sources.