Career Advise after completing L7

Hi,

I'm seeking career guidance. Although I  work as a generalist HR manager and have just completed my CIPD Advanced level Diploma in strategic people management L7, my position is not strategic. 

How can I obtain practical experience working at a strategic level and how can I maintain my knowledge and learning from Level 7? I'm concerned that all I've learnt will be wasted in my current employment.

I am unsure of my career path from here, any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Raiela 

• Hello Raiela,

This is a very hard question to answer. Personally, I have observed people be promoted and move to strategic roles where they did not have full competence but somebody trusted them and sponsored them. So I think it is very important that you find someone like that in your organisation who can sponsor you and give you a place at the table.

You could start thinking about your contribution more strategically and be proactive in demonstrating possibilities for your organisation and in the process demonstrate your abilities and build credibility.
    It is worth mentioning that you will be most successful if your proposals support the objectives and direction already in place and help somebody else achieve their objectives through your people strategies. No matter how great a proposal is if it takes resources or focus away from what must be achieved it might not get the support you'd like.

This is a very generic answer as I don't know your current situation, but I know it may not always be possible within your organisation and you may need to build your credibility by demonstrating achievements gained through other means.

Wish you all the best.

• In reply to Maryam:

Hi Maryam,
    Thank you for reply. I work in education and although I have been given a promotion in line with completing my Level 7 and increased responsibility, I feel unsure as to what I do know.