Can a CIPD level 3 qualification with no experience get me an HR job?

Hi All,

Am thinking about transitioning from a remote bookeeping role into HR as I want a more people-focused role.

I wondered how strong the CIPD 3 qualification is by itself...would it be enough to land me an interview for entry level HR roles without any direct HR/office experience?

Thanks for reading!

Ben

• Hi Ben - just showing on your CV that you are studying your CIPD Level 3 / Foundation Certificate in People Practice will show your commitment to HR and people practice when you are applying for HR roles and help put you ahead of the competition. I speak to a lot of people who have combination jobs with part of their role as HR so your bookkeeping experience may also be a helpful.
  • Hi Ben

Jackie's absolutely right that studying for your level 3 will show your interest and skills in HR to employers, but I think it's only fair to add that people do find getting into HR quite competitive and you may be competing for roles alongside people who already have experience working in HR, so anything else you can do to boost your chances is good too. Can you afford to take some fixed term roles or spare the time to volunteer? That may give you some good HR experience to go alongside your studies.

Good luck

Jackie (a different one)
  • Hi Ben,

I did exactly that.
    Just set your expectations right on what your first role in HR might be and that the salary might be low.
    As Jackie already mentioned if a role you had before had parts of HR make sure it's clear in your CV. I for example had quite solid experience in recruitment (mainly though assessment centers) and absence management and staffing. That definitely helped me get my first role in HR.
    So look at your CV and see if there are elements you can highlight to show experience in HR in other roles.
  • In reply to Jacqueline:

Hi Ben - my partner is a bookkeeper/accountant and I am working in HR - I'm very happy to have a look at your CV and help you with some tips to make the transition if another view would be helpful. If you'd like to do that you're welcome to DM me. Jackie :)
  • Firstly Ben, welcome, great to see you are proactively studying to support your move into a new role and good luck trying to make that change. You've some excellent pointers from Jackie, Jacqueline and Saskia.

I think concentrating on the transferable skills and experience you have and formulating a people focussed CV and profile will help. Finance and HR are close companions at work so that should help.

A long time ago, I moved from a line and project management role, which had a lot of people experience and especially training in it, to a dedicated people role. I found it hard.

I found getting someone to look over my CV and offer coaching on interview techniques very helpful in positioning my existing experience in a different way.

I had to take a pay cut and my experience was discounted by HR colleagues, when I expected them to value the different skill set I could bring. I hope things have moved on since then but I'd advise you to have some great support around you to help lift you up, if you get rejected, as persistence pays off and your mix of people and financial/ analytical and attention to detail skills could be a great asset to a people function. All the best.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

28 Apr, 2023 09:29

A belated welcome to our Community, Ben. So pleased to see the support you're already receiving here.

• In reply to Steve Bridger:

Thanks everyone for all your replies! Especially Jackie for kindly offering to look over my CV and Saskia for actually showing me that transitioning into HR can be done with the help of a CIPD 3 qualification. Am super grateful (and encouraged) to all!

Am now reflecting on my next steps...

Thanks all!
    Ben
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

24 May, 2023 12:00

In reply to Ben:

Great to hear, Ben.