HR jobs and is CIPD worth it?

Hello everyone,

So I'm currently working towards my level 3, I have some basic HR knowledge as I did retail for a long time. I'm applying for jobs but the feedback is level 3 isn't high enough or I don't have enough experience.

I'm starting to get disheartened and feel like CIPD wasn't the way to go to get into HR. Is anyone else having the same sort of issues?

• I did my level 3 back in 2016-17 while working in restaurants. Towards the end of my course I found a 9 month FTC for an HR Administrator which I was successful in, the fact I was doing my CIPD (and self funded it) I am told is what got me the role. if you're being told level 3 isn't high enough what sort of roles are you applying to? Level 3 is more than sufficient for entry level roles such as an Administrator.
  • In reply to Oliver:

Hi Justin - as Oliver says working towards Level 3 should be a great help in your application towards HR roles but it does depend on what roles you are applying for. And of course your CV and other background versus the role and what the organisation is looking for. For example some roles or organisations may want the Level 5 if it's an HR Manager role. Try applying for HR Administrator level roles ie entry level first and see how that goes. Then use that to progress onto the next level - you may even be able to negotiate the funding for the Level 5 CIPD course :) Happy to take a look at your CV and the CIPD has lots of tools to help with that too. Good luck with finishing your Level 3 - keep going!
  • Hello. I passed my CIPD 5 last year and hoping to do my level 7 in April 24. I personally think it does help build your theoretical HR knowledge. There are good points that I covered in my level 5, specifically about employment law and understanding the ACAS code of practice. I also found what areas of HR interest me. I am doing the level 7 to develop my knowledge further and hopefully apply for Chartered Status after that. However, nothing beats hands on experience but when both go hand in hand, you have the beginning of something great. Just my personal experience.

There is a lot of focus that certain levels are for specific roles which isn't always the case. Could you attend any local CIPD branch meetings or webinars to build your experience over time? Target specifically the areas you need to improve with relevant training courses or reading casework. 

• In reply to Felix Williams:

Great advice Felix - the courses are designed as building blocks - yes you can theoretically complete a degree course without an A level for example if you have workplace experience and figure out how to pass the assignments. The same goes for a Masters if you have a related degree and life and/or work experience but if you skip levels and/or some of the experience what are you missing when it comes to delivering great results? How confident do you feel in evaluating a range of business options and making recommendations that will work for the people involved and still ensure there's a return on investment for the business?
  • Hi Justin I landed my HR admin role in 2021… didn’t have HR background but had a strong 13 years in admin in an IFA world. The admin experience helped me secure this role.

I am now on my Level 3 CIPD journey as an apprenticeship to hopefully give me the lift up to HR Advisor!
  • I found that most employers will ask for either CIPD qualifications or relevant experience. Since it is quite difficult to define a "relevant" experience if you don't know the CIPD's Profession Map, the CIPD qualification is the way to go. Saying that the best way is to secure the role and study the level you aim for. So, level 3 is sufficient for the administrator, however, if you aim to be an advisor you should be looking at level 5, etc.