HR Project Management Courses?

Hello there,

As title really - wondering if anyone has done an HR focused Project Management course and has recommendations? Change Management that sort of thing?

I'm CIPD L5 qualified - so know the basics - but haven't had my own big projects to manage in my current role. I've seen many places advertising positions (I'm otherwise confident about) wanting this. 

Thanks 

• I don't know of any specific HR project management courses but the principals of project management are the same for getting a new HRIS system or building the pyramids.

I would look at the huge range of project management courses and see if any fit your requirements. It is worth gaining a good understanding of traditional techniques as well as Agile methodologies.

The Open University offer a range of free courses including project management www.open.edu/.../full-catalogue

Project management training is an entire industry ready to take your money and sometimes a great deal of your money.

Of course, getting a certificate is nice but experience is also crucial. The comment about not having done any big projects is interesting, projects are all relative but a general observation is I have seen a huge amount of success with small projects and frequently very little change with big projects.
  • In reply to Steven :

Thank you for your reply and for the free courses. I'm definitely after learning rather than a certificate.

I expect my entire role to this point has been made up of many little projects really, but done in a rather free and organic way (i.e., establishing a need but not necessarily thinking of it as a stakeholder analysis, and not sure if there's a 'proper' way that's usually done), certainly not following a formal structure which I think might be expected in a larger, more corporate environment, e.g., using Project Initiation Documents, the best ways to monitor and assess success of projects etc. The only sort of models I'm aware of are very basic, like the project management triangle. My aim is to be able to competently talk about the projects I've done, and hopefully be equipped to take on larger challenges.
  • In reply to Rosie :

Rosie, there is a lot of free resources out there for various types of project management for example on YouTube. Some of it is overly complex but some of it is really good.

Things like project initiation documents are not hard to create, the best way to learn them it is practice. Think of any project you have worked on, what would be in the PID and what would you exclude. Again, huge amounts of free information out there.

In recent years, project management has enlarged to include projects with high degrees of uncertainty and Agile is a good methodology for these projects.

Some also include approaches like Kanban and Lean and call these project management techniques, not sure I agree these are project management methodologies but I can see why some find them helpful. As an aside, Kanban is super simple and can easily be understood within a few minutes.

Almost anything could be called a project from making a cup of tea to building a nuclear submarine, the trick is to know what is the right approach/techniques for each project.