Level 5 or 7?

Hi all,

Looking for some insights and words of wisdom from those with experience of studying at level 7.

I am currently full time working as Head of Onboarding which is basically leading our recruitment and L&D teams to optimise onboarding, training and CPL for staff across the organisation.  My background is recruitment and this role is my first within the L&D sphere although I am of course not extremely close to the detail nor would I expected to be, as my role is to manage teams and drive strategic change aligned with our company's vision.

I have no academic background and have never studied at degree level.  All of my learning has been 'on the job' and my move to management and senior management has all been supported by my current employer.  I have now been afforded the opportunity to complete my CIPD and gain recognised qualification courtesy of my employer and have full discretion to choose the course which I feel is right for me.

My question is, do I go for the level 7 which, is probably more aligned to my role but will be more challenging academically?  Or, do I go for the level 5 which (in my modest view) will be more achievable for me personally given my lack of further education, and still offer me exposure to the theory and deeper understanding of situations?

For what it's worth, I also think I may have undiagnosed ADHD which manifests in me jumping from task to task or missing small details IF I don't find what I am working on engaging or see as a big enough priority.

I am also unsure whether to consider applying for the HR or L&D qualification, although my current role is as detailed above, my remit is to drive change and manage teams effectively for high performance.  I would love to branch further in to Workforce Planning and Organisational Design at some point too..

Thanks for reading (if you got this far..)

• Hello,
    Given your background and current role, opting for the level 7 CIPD qualification could provide more relevant knowledge and skills for your strategic responsibilities. However, if you're concerned about the academic challenge, starting with Indigo Card - Pre-Qualify the level 5 might be a more practical approach, allowing you to build a solid foundation and gain confidence.

• Hi Emma - great to hear your company will support you to study your CIPD. I work with a study centre and advise students a lot on this question. I would probably suggest Level 5 from what you've said as you will get a better learning experience overall. These courses are designed as building blocks so jumping into Level 7 can be pretty tough. There are pros and cons depending a number of factors including some which you mention here. I'm very happy to chat through if it would help just DM me.
  • I opted for Level 5 because, despite being a straight A student for GCSE and A Level (except notably maths!) I didn't do a degree and it had been ages since I'd studied.
    I found L5 really difficult! I see on here all the time people advised to skip L5 and it's too easy etc. but I really found it a challenge - and I've been working in HR for 12 years! I'm glad I didn't go straight into L7.
    It wasn't the concepts, theory etc. however which were hard to grasp, it was remote learning on (in my experience) not very good distance learning platforms, coupled with unclear questions, tiny word count and luck of the draw with who marked your paper. In fact, I had an ongoing battle with one who kept flagging me for plagiarism, even when I pointed out that the software they were using (TurnItIn) was flagging my references and appendices, and nothing in the actual body of my work. I ended up having to make an official complaint before they bothered to acknowledge it!
  • In reply to Jackie Allen:

Thank you Jackie, have sent you a PM
  • In reply to Rosie :

Thanks for your insights Rosie, and I'm sorry to hear about your experience.
  • In reply to Rosie :

Sorry to hear you had a tough time Rosie :)